This post may contain affiliate links; see site footer for more details.
Ah, SPRING BREAK. It’s the sugarplum vision that dances in every college kids head from, um, Christmas onwards. Ha! But ’tis the season, and we’re all hella pumped to break outta the academic confines and have some fun. I’m headed to Nashville, TN to meet up with two of my best blogging friends, who are actually just best friends period, and now we finally get to meet each other IRL instead of just constantly emailing, Snapchatting, texting, Skyping and messaging for months and months. I’m PUMPED to say the very least. Stay tuned for a recap next week… 😉 For now, here are 10 things you need to know before Spring Break.
- Save the date. First and foremost, don’t pull an Erica and not realize spring break is a-comin’ until it’s a week away. Everything books fast – flights, hotels, people – so carpe diem as soon as you know when to hit the road.
- Nix the pressure. There’s pressure to make spring break plans fast with a group – but don’t let the pressure get to ya. As a senior, I can say I felt that pang every single year. You start to see travel groups forming, and just like at lunch tables in middle school, you’re desperately hoping that something works out for you, too. But so much of it comes down to which two kids were procrastinating at the same time together in the library, and who did they Snapchat to talk about it. It’s never really personal – it’s just who starts talking to who. Grab the ol’ spring break bull by the horns and start the plans yourself to avoid any hurt feelings!
- Home counts as “cool.” Everyone gets asked the question, “So where are you going for Spring Break???” And everyone always says, “Oh, I’m just going home,” as if it’s bad or shameful to not be packing for Bali. Paaaaalease. After months of papers and exams and walking to class in blizzards (oh, is that just a Northeast thing?), girlfriend needs some R&R. And going home does just the thing.
- Leave school at school. While there might still be exams around the corner, you’re on break. Give up the guilt and let yourself relax and have some fun. Don’t be stressing about your leftover work all the while, or you’ll end up back at school and not really feeling all that much better.
- Get the most bang for your buck. Sometimes getting creative is the kicker to having your dream spring break come true! Tickets to tropical havens might seem sky high, but one of my best friends is heading for a tour of Europe for less than, like, $400 total. Total. Including flights, travel, and hostel arrangements. Crazy, right?! While some are forking out thousands for a spring break in “paradise,” she’ll be wining and dining her way across Italy, grabbing beers in Germany, renting a bike in Copenhagen, and having essentially the best time ever. #winning
- Don’t wait until the last minute to arrange travel plans. Learned that one the hard way – I waited around to snag my flight to Nashville, and ended up owing a few hundred bucks more that originally anticipated. Not cool. Book as soon as you know what’s happening!
- Travel with the trusted. You need your crew for Spring Break, because especially if you’re traveling, you want people you can trust by your side! Think smartly about this one – do you really want to be wandering around the beach town with people you barely know? Especially if you plan on drinking, be sure you’re with people you trust have your back and won’t leave you in some sketchy bathroom to fend for yourself.
- Pack wisely. Compact packing is an art, and I’m still trying to learn that art. It can be so easy to think you’re gonna need seventeen outfits and ten pairs of shoes and the whole shebang of makeup and hair products, but when it comes to spring break packing, less is more. I got this gorgeous monogrammed seersucker weekender from Swoozie’s and I. am. in. looooooove. It’s built so nicely, it’s gorgeous, it fits all the things, and it’s my first monogrammed thing with my soon-to-be new last name. 😉 I’m going to Nashville for a few days, but not the entire week of spring break, so having one carry on weekender bag that works wonders is clutch. (Use code ROSES20 for 20% off your own – 100% worth it).
- Find the student discounts. If you’re hitting up a tried and true spring break hot spot, see if student wristbands are an option, or if you can get a discount for showing student ID. Businesses know when spring break is here. All about those savings, peeps.
- Nothing is really like the Spring Breakers movie. But it’s better. Granted, Spring Breakers ain’t my cuppa coffee, but if you’re not one for drugging it up and going all Girls Gone Wild for the week, you won’t be dissatisfied.
Where are you going (or where have you gone) for Spring Break?
Throw your own wisdom in the comments below. What’s the key to spring break success?
Now if ya need me, I’ll be in Nashville. Probably eating. A lot. 😉