This post may contain affiliate links; see site footer for more details.
I guess this post’s title is pretty self-explanatory. If your cosmetics bag is in need of uplifting, some of these gems might fill the void and do the trick quite nicely. Let your beauty shopping commence…
P.S. “Over-the-counter” doesn’t mean you need a prescription for your next mascara. It just refers to those super sophisticated-looking counters in the department store where ladies walk around in all black with fruit sprays and such, trying to explain why you need that hydra-quenching, line-reducing, age-defying cheekbone lift cream you never knew you needed.
Victoria’s Secret Shimmer Eye Shadow in “Bewitching”
– This shadow is bewitching to say the least. Whether you’re looking for a girlier take on a traditional smoky eye, or you just need a little sparkle to get through the day, this long-lasting shadow does the trick. It’s all up to how you apply – the more on the brush, the more concentrated the pigment. It looks super dark in the pod, but a light sprinkling on your lids will leave a light sparkle in a light grey-ish tone – nothing more! Otherwise, you can heavy it on for eyes that will majorly pop, without looking like you got punched in the eye socket (which always ends up being how I look if I ever attempt the traditional smoky look. Awkward, right?). The shade listed below (After Dark) is nearly identical to Bewitching!
Drugstore: Aveeno Clear Complexion Daily Moisturizer
– This goo (and the whole Aveeno brand, actually) has gotten rave reviews from people who swear by Aveeno for sensitive skin. Now I swear by Aveeno, too. I love feeling like I’m combating breakouts and moisturizing all at the same time.
Over-the-counter: Clarin’s HydraQuench Tinted Moisturizer
– I’m so so picky on moisturizers. With sensitive skin and past problems with acne, I never even USED moisturizer for forever because I mistakenly thought that moisturizing before makeup would just make me more oily and more prone to break outs. While being oily can increase your risk for breaking out, properly applying a good moisturizer won’t do that.
Many I’ve tried still leave me feeling dry and flaky, or they’re too heavy and greasy. NOT CLARIN’S. This had me hydrated, but it felt so light that I could apply makeup without feeling goopy and masked. Because who wants to feel goopy and masked?
Drugstore: Revlon Photoready Perfecting Primer in 001
– Beauty bloggers and vloggers all seem to swear by primers, so I eventually gave in and gave it a whirl – now I’m a huge primer person. It’s definitely the key to not getting streaky, uneven, stripe-y foundation or concealer lines (I know animal print is big, but some days you’re not really feelin’ the zebra look). I love this Revlon primer because it’s super light, so again, no masks here!
Over-the-counter: Estee Lauder Matte Perfecting Primer
– I first tried this beaut of a primer as a sample…man-oh-man, it’s great. Same concept, just at the Estee counter.
Drugstore: Revlon Colorstay Concealer in 02 Light
– Revlon used to make this concealer for blemish control, with salicylic acid in it, which I was obsessed with. But when I couldn’t find it during my last drugstore beauty haul, I settled for the basic concealer – same product, minus the salicylic acid. It’s still great, and this shade blends really well (I think) with my skin tone. If anyone seems me with spots on my face though, please let me know and we’ll re-think this one.
Drugstore: Maybelline Unstoppable eyeliner in “Onyx”
– Since I do black eyeliner on my lower water line for a more subtle under-eye punch, roll-up liners do the trick much better than pencils that need sharpening. This Maybelline liner lasts all day!
Over-the-counter: Clinique quickliner for eyes in “10 dark chocolate”
– My brown eyeliner obsession. A roll-on liner that deserves its name – it goes on so smoothly and fast, it’s perfect for a girl on the go. The color is so rich and really lasts all day, smudge and streak-free.
Maybelline Baby Lips
– Super soft, and fifty billion shades and hues to choose from. I tried a neon pink for a pop of fun during my last college a cappella show – whaddya think of it?
EOS Lip Balm
– I was a big EOS girl and then took a hiatus before hearing about them again through beauty vloggers. I fell back in love after grabbing a pink globe in Strawberry Sorbet. It’s super yummy, makes your lips feel super soft, and you just want to re-apply over and over again.
Bite Beauty Fruit Scrub in Whipped Cherry
– This winter, it was time for me to step up my beauty products’ game and try a lip exfoliant; cold temps and harsh winds are so so so unkind to the ol’ puckers. I’m new to this scrub, but the woman in Sephora swore by it and it was the last one left of any lip scrub in store (what are the chances?), so I considered it fate and picked it up for a go. Although I’m not 100% sure how I feel about it yet, I am 100% sure that it tastes yummy and leaves my lips soft afterwards!
Lush Mint Julips Lip Scrub
– This is my next-to-try product. Haven’t tried it yet, but I’ve heard rave reviews, so when good ol’ Cherry runs out, Mint Julips is next in line.
Drugstore: Maybelline The Falsies Volum’ Express
– They live up to their name, and they’re clump-free (my biggest thing with mascaras).
In the middle: MaryKay Lash Love Mascara (Get a full MaryKay line review here!)
– I have fondly named these “spider lashes” for their long, spidery goodness. Maybe comparing lashes to a spider isn’t the most enticing thing, but I swear it’s a really good compliment for a black tube of eyelash enhancement goo.
– Really, I think any Lancôme mascara will do the trick and then some. I’m pretty sure their reputation is all about ‘dem lashes, too, so going with that, I’d say that a pretty penny spent on mascara is best spent on Lancôme.
Hypnose Doll Lash Mascara – #01 So Black 6.5g/0.23oz
If you give any of the above products a whirl, I’d LOVE to hear your feedback…if you love (or hate…but I’m pretty sure you’ll love…) your next beauty haul! Comment below, post on the Coming Up Roses Facebook wall or send a message (and be sure to “LIKE” the page!), or shoot me an email at email@example.com.
What have been YOUR favorite beauty goops and gels this season? Comment below!
Happy hump day…