This post may contain affiliate links; see site footer for more details.
MONDAY! Back at it again! IDK if it was cos last week was a holiday and shortened work week or if it’s cos I’ve been on a productivity *high* lately, but I am STOKED for this week. Anyone else? Also could be the fact that the Nordstrom Anniversary Sale starts this week (but only if you do these things)…I could (+ should?) quit shopping, but I’m no quitter. So, see ya @ the sale. 😉 When it comes to shopping, y’all know I’m all about trying trends. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again – I’m not one to follow the runways. TBH, I don’t even know what went ON the runways most recently. I’m on the side o’ the fence that declares style as being more of a personal thing. If ya lovelovelove it…wear it! If ya can’t stand it, nix it. No hard feelings – just pick n’ choose what works/doesn’t on you and in your closet. Simple enough amiright??
So today, we’re talkin’ + tryin’ a trend that I’ve seen be a trend for basically ever.
Denim on Denim
Today’s trend to try is a classic one, in my humble opinion.
This one stands the test o’ time, and I think variations of it will just keep popping up every season. Probably cos jeans are never out of style. 😉
We’re talking denim on denim!
Also, this just so happened to be one of my fave photoshoots to do to date. I’m no model (no newsflash there – ha!), so truly feeling *good* shooting photos of myself all the time happens approximately never. Today…I was feelin’ it. So much so, that I didn’t even realize the f-bomb that some asshat had graffitied on the area. WOMP. No worries – I edited that ish out. 😉 ANYHOO. Onto denim on denim.
Bell Sleeve Ruffle Denim Top ($24 – SUCH a steal!! Made so well + goes with literally everything) // High-waist jeans (Also found here – My favorite in my closet currently! They’re comfy AF and ULTRA flattering. Like, make-ya-wanna-shake-yo’-booty kinda flattering. 100% worth the splurge.) // Leopard slides (They run TTS!) // Classic denim options here // Jean shorts for summer here // Pops of leopard here
How to rock it:
- Mismatching washes. Always always always mismatch the wash! If you’re wearing two denim pieces and they’re the same shade/wash of denim, you’re doing it wrong. Seriously. Don’t do that. Instead…
- Lighter versus dark. Try going at least one full hue lighter/darker on top/bottom. The same shade on both pieces can get a bit 80’s-esque. Mismatching enough, tho, almost makes ya forget it’s denim on denim and avoids a biker, farmer, or cowboy look. (Not sure why those were first to mind? We’re goin’ with it.)
- Mismatch fits. Same as color, try mixing up how individual pieces fit. Anytime I’m getting matchy-matchy, my general rule of thumb: If it’s snugger on bottom, go looser on top (+ vice versa). Here, these jeans fit like a dream (halle-friggin-lujah). I would never go snugger on top then, too, cos if anything, I’d risk taking away from the fabulousness of the pants! Instead, I go flowier for a different effect. In turn, it helps ya accentuate favorite features without going overboard anywhere.
- Get creative with cuts. I lovelovelove this specific look cos of the cut of the top. It’s not your typical chambray shirt – it’s this really neat peplum thing. (Neat? Is that a good word to describe fashion? LOL WHAT). But denim on denim doesn’t have to mean basic jeans with a basic jean shirt! Any sort of funky design keeps things fresh + fun + unexpected and even more “trendy.”
- Always add pops. Pops of print and/or color are always a good bet when styling denim on denim. I never shy away from a pop o’ pink, and leopard is a neutral. So…bring it on. I always strive for one good intentional pop to complement denim on denim, and here, it was these absurdly cute leopard slides. I would say I’m obsessed, but that’s obv.
How to shop it:
- Know when to splurge on denim. I used to be *so* afraid of spending more than $40 on a pair of jeans. I distinctly remember my first splurge pair. It was high school, and they were the Morgan jeans from Delia’s. They were, like, $50, which was a BIG deal for me – especially since I was averaging out on the clearance racks at Target and Forever 12 flash sales. But sure enough…they fit like a DREAM. Before then, I had never found jeans that fit me justright. Where ya put ’em on and went WHOA BABY, these are magical. If you’ve yet to experience that feeling, girlfriend…you need it. There’s just this unequivocally awesome boost of confidence that comes with the perfect pair o’ jeans. *Steps off soapbox* SO. Long story short…I had that dance-around-the-room feeling as soon as I put on these gems (also here). (And that moment was captured on Instastories when it happened…didja happen to catch it?) What makes these significant: 1.) The waistband. I hatehatehate when jeans gape in the back, when they slide down when I sit, and/or when the waistband is just generally uncomfortable and awkward. These are not that. They’re slightly high-waisted, so the top fits so flatteringly. 2.) The cropped hem. I’m 5′ 7″ish on a good day, so having a slightly cropped, more raw hem coupled with a high-waist means HELLO LEGS FO’ DAYS. 3.) The material. These are 91% cotton, 7% elasterell-p, and 2% elastane. IDK what those last two things really are, but Lordy it’s one helluvah good combo. I cannot complain. In fact, I will do the complete opposite and shout from the rooftops how amazeballs it is to actually feel like a million bucks in a pair of pants. Dramatic? Not even.
- Splurge on bottom, save on top. Not much can compete with the perfect pair o’ jeans, as discussed above. But chambray/denim tops are a bit easier to come by – or at least, easier to fake it ’til ya make it. If you’re spending the bigger bucks on your bottoms, save $$$ on top! My bottoms here were def a splurge, but the top is $24. In the end, they balance each other out!
- Know thy washes! Both my top + bottom here are pretty solid washes – there’s no distressing, acid wash, or other effect to change up the denim. Instead, it’s just a solid, medium wash on bottom, and a solid light on top. I think the best route to go to pull it off is two mismatched solid washes. Keeps things simple, but powerful + punchy.
All past Trend to Try posts here
Would you try denim on denim?
If ya already rock it, how do you style it? Any favorite pieces, or favorite places to shop denim? Lemme know in a comment below…I lovelovelove (LOVE) hearing from you guys.
P.S. Sweet summertime is here to stay…are you being safe?
P.P.S. Wanna win $1,000??? UM, YES. Super stoked to be giving away $1,000 to Nordstrom in honor of the super sale starting this week.
Now…it’s time for a fabulous giveaway! I’ve teamed up with an amazing group of bloggers to give ya a chance to win: a $1,000 Nordstrom Gift Card, just in time for the Anniversary Sale! Simply enter below by completing the Rafflecopter. You’ll receive one entry per completion. This giveaway is open internationally and runs until 7/24. Winner will be announced here. Good Luck!