Alright alright alriiiiiiiiight ladies…I get it. It can be HARD to get all put together when you’ve got, like, everything else on your plate with priority over your outfit. Sometimes it’s hard enough to get the right cream cheese to carb ratio down on your morning bagel…and you’re expected to look like a J. Crew catalog, too?
I feel you. As someone who does way too much most of the time, I’m chronically rushing or running late or having to be reminded to wear real pants before leaving the house. But there are also a few quick “hacks” I’ve mastered to take you from blah to bam when it comes to everyday wear. It’s easy to throw on whatever top and bottoms are lying on the floor clean, and it’s easy to just shop a few cute dresses from Target and call it a day in the throw-on-and-go category. But what’s NOT necessarily easy? Looking truly put together. Making people think Dang, she’s got great style. That takes a certain finesse that most of us only garner from blogs and magazines. So, here are 7 wardrobe hacks to remember when you’re flying out the door, but want (and need!) to look more put together and chic.
This outfit’s base is a black t-shirt – simple and basic. I could have easily thrown on jean shorts and flip flops to head out to town, but it would’ve been a totally different look and vibe than this prettier counterpart. These wardrobe hacks to look more put together in five minutes are meant to be easy peasy lemon squeezy and near-effortless, for big impact with little work. Can I get an amen? Let’s begin.
- Add a printed layer. This basic black tee is just that – basic. To look more put together on the fly, add a layer! Even better, make it printed. This particular cardigan is a recent addition to my wardrobe, and it’s SO summer-perfect; it’s so lightweight and soft, making it my new go-to for any air-conditioned places. (Bonus points: it’s less than $24 with code COMINGUPROSES) I’m a huge fan of a good leopard print, so this leopard gem just screams summer chic…and it’ll easily transition to fall in a few months, too.
- Pick a skirt with volume. More structured pieces automatically add about 15 “put together” points. Structured pieces are typically more formal in nature (think structured blazers for the boardroom, structured dresses for fancier affairs), so they’re an easy thing to swap out for your typical short or skirt to add more chic in a flash. This skirt is my “bubble” skirt, as I call it, because it’s got just enough structure to stick out ever so slightly and add that volume (and I bought it for $16 from Marshall’s!).
- HEELS. Granted, not every outfit is good for heels, and not every gal is good for heels either (hello, I’d rather not break my ankle on a Tuesday thankyoukindly). BUT, if you’re comfortable opting for a heel in your everyday wear and can wear them casually enough with a regular ol’ outfit, you’ll look that much more put together than flat sandals. *Alternative: Heels can be hard. As a swap-out, try a sandal with a little more detail, like rhinestones, pom poms, laces, buckles, etc, or a flat with a pop of color. These (which I Instagrammed the other day and lovelovelove), these, and these are all ridiculously cute options that do the trick! (But if you do want my exact heels, they’re here.)
- Be intentional with accessories. I totally get it – switching your bag to match every outfit could get a weeeeee bit ridiculous. Ain’t nobody got time for that. Instead, if you’re aiming for a more put together look on the reg, consider investing in a few key accessories that match pretty much everything, that way you’re never a mismatched fit and always look the part (in however many minutes it took you to wake up and go). I scored this studded BCBG bag at Burlington for – wait for it – $29.99, and figured that was a bargain enough to grab a $3 pom, too. But the light beige color just rocks as a summer neutral!
- Going along with accessories…rock sunglasses. Anytime I forget my sunnies, I’m a big squinty hot mess. Actually, I’m a big blind hot mess, because I just can’t see at all, and I’m probably a hazard on the road. HA. Same with the bag – if you get sunnies that look chic all the time, they become a near-effortless way to up your style ante in T-minus 10 seconds. These sunnies are Prada – and I most definitely didn’t pay a Prada price for ’em. If you want to up your sunglass game without dropping an obnoxious amount on them (I break sunnies far too frequently to spend anything more than $20 on a pair, let’s be real), then you need Endless Eyewear in your life. From the company DITTO, Endless Eyewear is program where you pay $24/month to rent whatever designer sunglasses you want; you can have one pair for a full month, or you can swap ’em out every week, and you only have to send back your current pair once your new pair arrives – so you’re never without cool shades. I’ve had Miu Miu and Prada gems, and I’m about to swap for a Karen Walker pair – it’s awesome, and even if I don’t *look* cooler, I sure as heck feel awesome. ***Use code COMINGUPROSES for a FREE month of renting, so you can try the service out before actually opting into it. #yes
- Don’t forget jewelry! A little bit of bling can go a long way in looking more put together fast. So often, we forget to pop in earrings and slap on a few bracelets, but it seriously makes a big difference! Simple earrings and a dainty necklace, even, automatically make it look like ya tried a little extra that morning. One of the biggest keys to looking more put together in five minutes is to have your whole head-to-toe in mind. Jewelry is one of the easiest ways to achieve that, because you’ve got earrings all the way down to bracelets (and ankle bracelets? #bringthemback? 😉 ) and rings. Easiest wardrobe hack to look more put together in five minutes – or really, 30 seconds!
- Brave a pop of lip color. You guys know I’m big on a bold lippy! I know it’s not for everyone, but seriously y’all…a pop of color goes SO SO FAR! I swear you could be wearing no other makeup, and simply swiping on some lip color just makes your face look more alive. My favorite part about lipstick? It’s basically an accessory. If you DON’T want to wear a necklace, for example, a bright pink lip can be a pop enough in that same region to act as a good substitute. When you take the time to put together a whole cute outfit but then don’t wear a lick of makeup, it always makes me think it’s less put together – because it looks like you forgot something. I used to see this all the time at Penn – girls dressing up in full business formal suits for interviews, and then not doing a SINGLE THING to their hair or makeup. If you’re going for the I just rolled out of bed in a suit and here I am look, ya nailed it. But looking put together? It takes a little more effort! A pop of color on your lips is an easy, near effortless way to look more the part without even needing to know how to do makeup. Some of my current favorites are this bright liquid lipstick, this more muted pink lip (which my fiance loves!), the entire Melted line – especially this guava color, and this super wearable drugstore “electric pink.”
QUICK TIP: To look more put together in five minutes, try a SWAP of something you have on to see what more chic piece you can replace it with to get your desired look. Start with your base, and build from there! I started with a basic black tee. Think of any top layer you can add. Can you swap your current bottoms for something more stylish (but just as comfy)? Looking more put together really comes down to the little details. Because a bunch of little details all together create the bigger picture! Think of the pieces you can either swap out or add in easily to just kick it up a notch in the “put together” department.
What’s your own favorite wardrobe hack to look more put together in five minutes?
If you’ve got your own tip or trick, I’d lovelovelove to hear it in a comment below!