Another new series alert! HOLLAH. After finding myself making one too many lists of favorite products for this or that, I figured I should just curate them all in a “top 10” format to share the intel. 😉 Welcome to Top 10! These posts will share – you guessed it! – my top 10 picks/recommendations/favorites in a specific category. Today, we’re talkin’ top 10 skincare products.
So. Some backstory on my skin. I’ve always had oily skin…I’ve also always had skin issues, battling blemishes since basically forever, experiencing redness, hyperpigmentation from acne scarring, you name it. #glamorous. My skin was always my biggest insecurity. No matter what I did, nothing fixed – or even seemed to fix – pimples popping up or just a total lack of picture-perfect complexion that seemed to be all over magazines and the internet.
I’ve tried what feels like every regimen under the sun, from drugstore to over-the-counter. I am, though, admittedly bad at sticking to just one solid regimen for a solid period of time. The few times I *have* been able to successfully do this, I saw success undoubtedly. But especially in the business of blogging (*ahem* or being addicted to CVS ExtraBucks and have a platinum Target RedCard)
- Aveda toning mist. I use this every. single. morning. without. fail. As soon as I hop outta the shower, I give my face 2-3 spritzes of this mist – it’s just a fabulous light toner, great for oilier girls wanting to be de-slicked before the day even begins. It works to dually hydrate + balance your skin, minimizing effects of any surface build-up of oil, etc., with mild astringent benefits (perfect for mah oily girls!)
- Tula purifying facial cleanser. Such a CLUTCH cleanser. I lovelovelove a lot of Tula products, because I really believe the probiotic technology is helpful in getting and maintaining a truly balanced complexion. This cleanser is good for all skin types (hollah!), and its key ingredients are lactic acid (good for gentle exfoliation), chicory root (a natural anti-inflammatory prebiotic), tumeric root (powerful antioxidant with healing properties), blueberries (strengthen your skin’s barrier + combat damage from free-radicals), and probiotic technology (beats harmful bacteria and works to restore overall balance.
- Clarisonic. I have two Clarisonics – the Mia 2 and the Mia Fit – and I’m equally obsessed with both. The Mia Fit is best for traveling and is a bit of a lighter exfoliation than the Mia 2. I cannot even adequately explain the difference in using a Clarisonic versus just cleaning with your hands – it’s a WORLD of difference. I used to think I was fully cleaning my face when I’d just wet it, use my hands to apply cleanser, rinse, and be done. But I always had texture or little bumps on my face and just could not figure out for the LIFE of me why this was happening…talk about pain in the booty. As soon as I got my first Clarisonic and used it at night – after first using my hands per usual – my Clarisonic ended up tan after use…meaning, all of the makeup that hadn’t really come off the first time was now coming off. YO. NOT COOL. So you best believe now that any day I’ve got a full face o’ makeup on, I’m ending the night with a Clarisonic. 100% worth the investment. (P.S. I shared more with my Clarisonic in my fall skin routine here!)
- L’Oreal Pure Clay mask. I bought two of these bad boys – the green and the charcoal. And I love both equally! One is to Purify + Mattify and the is to Detox & Brighten. I love these masks because they feel like they actually do something. Ya feel? Oftentimes, I feel like I throw on a mask and end up not really seeing anything happen. Don’t get me wrong, I totally get that not every mask has dramatic, immediate results, yadda yadda yadda. But what can I say? I like seeing the fruits of my labor. 😉 P.S. These are buy 1, get 1 40% off right now!
- Proactiv+ complexion perfecting hydrator. I first used this hydrator in conjunction with an entire system of Proactiv+ products when I was testing it for three solid months for the blog. While some of the other products can be known for being *ahem* strong, this hydrator was my go-to balancing act for not turning into a Sahara on my face. It’s a light gel feel but still has salicylic acid in it for fighting breakouts, which I lovelovelove. There is a *laundry* list of benefits and features and ingredient explanations here, so I’d recommend just reading that through – it’s super informative. My favorite feature, though: It applies like gel, hydrates like a cream, AND battles breakouts. A dream product, and the first one I thought of when I started drafting top 10 skincare products.
- Simple cleansing micellar water. YOU GUYS. If you don’t have micellar water in your life, you’re not living. Seriously tho. For those nights when you come home and the *last* thing you wanna do is a full clean-down of yo’ face (#BeenThereDoneThat), this stuff legitimately works. I soak a cotton round and cover my face in it, then I take a second dry cotton round and follow up to remove any product, etc. I *try* really really really hard to always do a legit cleanse before bed, so micellar water is moreso what I’ll use in the morning if I had a solid scrub the night before and/or if it’s really cold outside and I don’t feel like splashing water on my face. 😉
- Aveeno Clear Complexion daily moisturizer. An oldie but goodie in my skincare drawer! Because of my oily skin and breakout tendencies, I’m a big fan of any moisturizer that duly works to combat acne. Just like the Proactiv+ hydrator, this moisturizer from Aveeno has salicylic acid in it, too (can ya tell I’m a salicylic fan? 😉 ). It’s just enough to make me feel like things aren’t greasy and gross.
- Paula’s Choice Skin Perfecting 2% BHA Liquid. Chemical exfoliants are total skincare gamechangers. This one is a fave of mine and has been since I first tested out a whole line from Paula’s Choice! It’s a non-abrasive liquid formaula good for all skin types. If you’re sitting there like WTH is a chemical exfoliant?!, it just means you’re putting something onto your face that works to set into your pores to unclog them, remove dead skin cells, and refine your skin texture and tone without requiring scrubbing or any external friction to do it. #Bless
- Tula Hydrating Day & Night Cream. This is basically the ultimate moisturizer. Tula describes it as a multivitamin for your skin, and that pretty much sums it up! It’s a bit pricier when it comes to moisturizers, but I can honestly say that I’ll be repurchasing this fosho. Inside is retinol (helps in skin renewal and collagen synthesis), rice nutripeptides (support healthy skin renewal), Tocopheral (Vitamin E – has anti-aging effects), and probiotic technology (battles harmful bacteria + helps restore balance).
- Dew Puff konjac sponge. I use my Clarisonic nearly every night, and I use my dew puff every morning. Ever since I realized how much better of a clean I got when I used something besides my hands to cleanse, I just can’t go back. This sponge is the softest sponge I’ve ever felt; it’s a plant fiber sponge from the konjac root, so it’s *super* gentle for everyday use. Once the sponge is wet, it helps make a rich lather, and the point of its composition is to prevent damage and small tears in your skin to help brighten and even your skin tone. I am obsessed. I also have all three types – Asian Clay for dry or aging skin (the orange one), Bamboo Charcoal for blemish prone skin (the grey one), and the original Dew Puff for all skin types (including baby’s). They last for three months when being used twice a day, and you can also clean your Puff by boiling it for 2 minutes or microwaving for 1 – super convenient. Just make sure you hang it up to dry after use so it has the chance to dry back out again! I’m tellin’ y’all…once you go konjac, you never go back. P.S. They’re available via Prime, so you can have them just sent to you on schedule every 3 months! 😉
What are your own top 10 skincare products?
I’d lovelovelove to hear your own favorites + recommendations, since I”m always a fan of finding new worth-it products that work time and time again. And fo’ yo’ skin’s sake, I included all of my top 10 here below, too – let me know if you’ve tried any of them already, and/or if you plan on it in the future!