This post may contain affiliate links; see site footer for more details.
DUDE, can someone please check in with dear Mother Nature?? One week it was 65 and sunny in Philadelphia, and the next day it was 40 and windy – now tomorrow they’re calling for a full-on blizzard. How the heck am I supposed to break out the cute spring flats and short sleeves when it’s 19 with gusts of friggin’ SNOW?!?! SOS.
In the spirit of inclement weather, I’ve been feeling pretty lost in my closet. It can be admittedly difficult to know what to wear – and heck, what to buy – when the weather is just all over the place. So while Mother Nature is getting her ish together, I’m all about wearing what works as many times as I can MAKE it work.
Enter, leggings. We all have ’em. Black leggings are like God’s gift to the lazy girl’s wardrobe. Or the comfy girl, athletic girl, hot mess girl (*raises hand*), or the girl who wants to be stylish AND comfy at the same time – imagine that! 😉 But more often than not, we probably find ourselves throwing clothes on the floor in a scene of I HAVE NOTHING TO WEARRRR!!! and deciding on leggings + a tee to call it a day. No fun! So I figured it’s be super helpful to basically all girls everywhere to throw together a post on what to wear with leggings, so eliminate the struggle once and for all. (Bless up).
We’re talkin’ what to wear with leggings, with 7 ways to style black leggings so you’ve got a week’s worth of outfit ideas to choose from. There are basically a billion different iterations for legging styling, so if this is something that ya find helpful and/or wanna see move of for different seasons, let a sistah know in the comments below!
General tips for WHAT to wear with leggings:
- Layers! Layer upon layer upon layer always works with leggings.
- Accessorize like a champ.
- Focus on dressing ’em up a bit if you’re going for a more put-together look.
- A balanced color palette.
- Flowier, looser, more oversized things on top to keep everything balanced. Skintight all over isn’t a good look!
- Top-to-bottom, head-to-toe balance. Meaning, a dressier top? Opt for dressing flats to balance! A sweatshirt on top? Go for the tennis shoes!
- NO HEELS. Unless you’re wearing a long tunic that completely covers yo’ booty, nix the heels-with-leggings look. It gets tacky v quickly.
To keep this as organized-ish as possible, I’m breaking it down into 7 looks for 7 days – lots of the concepts are mix-and-matchable, so you can dive into the depths of yo’ closet and get to #werk with the leggings you’ve got! First up, an edgier look that’s totally my style.
I lovelovelove a good badass look to start Monday off strong. 😉 My go-to look is always a little bit feminine, a little bit edgy, so this is totally my cuppa tea. The idea: Combat boots, leather jacket, graphic tee. Super simple. Next up, some print mixing.
Especially since it’s calling for a blizzard tomorrow (JOY), I haven’t put away my blanket scarves yet! I’m a big fan of print mixing, so I love that a.) this scarf is print mixed itself, and b.) the print mixed scarf + a striped shirt = more print mixing! It works because of the subtlety in each print against the other, and since the black + white is the consistent color palette in play. A pop o’ red is just always warmly welcomed. 😉
On Wednesdays we wear pink. This blush-colored blouse is my FAVORITE right now for spring! It’s a bit pricier than tops I’d normally go for, but with it being silk…it’s 100% a treat yo’self-worthy investment piece for your spring wardrobe. It’s super versatile, pretty + feminine, flowy + comfy, and I lovelovelove the subtle colorblocking on the bottom hem! For this look, I was aiming for a more preppy, pretty in pink vibe. Especially with a top that’s looser to begin with, I didn’t wanna layer more on top of it; instead, I paired with this gorgeous statement necklace that a CUR reader actually sent me (how sweet is she?! Thanks mucho, Daley!) and these bow flats that I’ve had on repeat already. They’re the comfiest flats I’ve ever owned I think, and I am stoked for the thermometer to read higher than 55 so that my ankles aren’t numb anymore. 😉
This look is allllll about that layering, baby! Layering works when you make it multi-dimensional. So instead of just throwing clothes on clothes on clothes, see how you can have elements peeking in and out so you’re left looking chic and less like a marshmallow. I have my favorite long sleeve striped tee (which is still on sale!) as the bottommost layer, followed by a chambray that I buttoned + twisted up at the bottom and cuffed at the sleeves, and then a classic herringbone vest on top!
Friday calls for fancy details, so I’m breakin’ out the embroidered bomber! J was against this purchase since he thinks this is a “grandma trend,” but I’m into it. I’m definitely picky about the embroidery – no hummingbirds on fire for me – but I like the detailing in general. I made sure to wear a black tee undnerneath, and the embroidery has black stitching in it so it’s all pulled together nicely.
Saturdaaaaaay. I’m already craving the weekend. Ha! This look is easy and works for everything from running errands to running around town with your girlfriends, which is why I lovelovelove it for weekend gallivanting! This suede blazer is almost sold out, so you HAVE to grab it ASAP (or get on the waitlist for the restock) – I was legit shocked at how good quality it is given the price point. I sized up to make sure it had room for layering, so I’d recommend doing the same! For a look like this, the camo tee reaaaaally matches the leggings. So opt for more of a “pop” on top for an easy, fun twist!
Easy like Sunday morning! With an added layer underneath, like a camisole, I’ve actually worn this look to church before! And MAJOR SALE ALERT: These boots are on sale for $22.48. I repeat, $22.48!!!!! They also come in black and are still available in almost all sizes, so if they’re not in your online cart and to your door by the weekend, you’re not doing life right. 😉 Black leggings and tall boots go together like peanut butter and jelly, and I lovelovelove how easy it is to transition the look to different seasons. With my favorite flowy tunic, it’s more fall-ish, or winter-to-spring. But swap out the tunic for a thicker sweater, and it’s winter-ready. Swap out the boots for flats, and it’s more spring-y. SO EASY, PEEPS! Your “what to wear with leggings” question is #solved.
They always say, “save some for a rainy day!” You always need yo’ rain gear ready to go in case of storm clouds – good thing leggings work for that, too! This one is pretty self-explanatory…throw on rubber boots, something easy on top, and a rain coat or anorak jacket and you’re golden. I lovelovelove how the more oversized jacket balances out the tight leggings on bottom, so everything is still movable and easy.
General tips for HOW to best rock leggings:
- Make sure the butt isn’t see through. An opaque, thicker material is best to ensure you don’t basically moon all the peeps. My favorite leggings are actually lined with fleece inside, so they’re suuuuper comfy and hella warm for winter!
- Cover butt if need be. If you don’t think leggings are suitable pants or feel uncomfortable with it being a snugger fit on yo’ behind, no problemo – just make sure your top comes down long enough to account for it.
- Get full length leggings that go to your ankles instead of a cropped cut. Cropped can work with athleisure if you’re pairing with sweats and/or sneakers for a casual look, and it works if the bottom is covered up with boot socks, etc, but otherwise, definitely a no no with flats!
- Make SURE you’ve got the right underwear for no panty lines…ain’t nobody got time for that. 😉
- Don’t wear all tight all over! Really stick to the balancing act where everything else is more oversized to counter the snugger pants. It’s an all-around more flattering look, AND it’s more comfrtable!
- Sneakers for a casual, athleisure look
- For Fall: Riding boots, booties (wear ankle-length leggings that tuck!), get boot socks!
- For Winter: Winter boots – layer with thicker boot socks
- For Spring: Flats – just make sure leggings are full length and not cropped!, tennis shoes or casual sneakers
- For Summer: Ain’t nobody got time for leggings. 😉 Whip out the shorts + sundresses, girlfriend!
How do you style black leggings?
If you’ve got yo’ own favorite hacks and go-to’s for dressing leggings up for cute everyday wear, let me know girlfriend!! And now, some giveaways for ya to enter, because #monday…
P.S. Didja remember to enter to win $850 to Nordstrom yet???? Enter via the Rafflecopter below, one entry per completion, open internationally through 3/20, winner announced here.