Happy hump! TBH, this week is whooping my butt a bit. There are some biiiiiiig things a-comin’ to CUR, so behind-the-scenes is a tad bit more of a hot mess express than usual. 😉 But in the whole “everything is coming up roses” spirit, I’m trying to look to the positives, keep things in perspective, and just make it happen. Phew. If anyone wants to send a sistah a latte, that’d be great kaythanks.
Let’s try a trend, shall we?
The pleated midi skirt.
Right off the bat, I can see some of ya through the screen going NOPE. Not for me. No bueno.
Maybe you’re not a pleats person. Maybe you don’t think you could pull off a midi skirt. Maybe shiny + pink ain’t for everybody. 😉 Whatever the case, I’m here to remind ya that YES YOU CAN. Like
many most trends, it’s all about knowing how to make it work fo’ you. It’s not about making it work like it does on a runway model or *ahem* blogger. It’s about making it work in YOUR closet, and in what you’re comfortable rockin’ in your own life. A lil’ reminder about how this works: we talk about the trend to try, and we share how to rock it + shop it for your own body type, closet, lifestyle, yadda yadda yadda.
Psssssst: You can shop this pleated midi skirt + everything I’m wearing + talking about at the end of the post!
If I absolutely *had* to ID my personal style, it would probably most definitely be one part girly, one part edgy. I’m allllllll about mixing something ultra feminine with something more rocker chic. And I’d say pairing a shiny pink skirt with a black leather jacket pretty much does just that. 😉
When I first showed this look on Instagram, I was legit surprised at how many of y’all thought this was the craziest cool combination of things. I wore it to an event with MAC then, and the girls all flipped out – so I figured it was a keeper! For me, this look is so ideal when I want to make a semi-statement while still feeling ultra confident + comfortable. Yes, the skirt is pink. But it’s not crazy hot pink where heads turn just cos something resembling a highlighter just walked into their peripheral vision. Plus, it’s important to know thyself. I know that I’m always comfortable in black. Black is that easy, chic, go-to power color (or un-color?). It always works (except at weddings). So if the pleated midi skirt is a bit of a stretch for ya, pair it with pieces that you KNOW are wearable anytime, anywhere, anyday.
You actually *can* rock a pleated midi skirt. Really. So in typical “Trend to Try” fashion, let’s talk how to rock it + how to shop it.
How to rock it:
- With neutrals. If looking like Lisa Frank ain’t yo’ thaaang, I’d recommend steering clear of brighter color pairings here. I went with black, but white or grey would’ve also looked super cute here (just less edgy).
- Tuckable on top. Make sure that whatever top you’re wearing tucks nicely into the waistband of the skirt. Especially since it’s a more flowy fit to begin with, too much flow (especially on a smaller frame) can be overwhelming. Plus, this accentuates your waistline!
- Wear leg-lengthening shoes. This goes for any midi skirt, so all the shorties in the house can wear ’em without feeling like they’re shortening ya! Choose shoes that make your legs look longer. Nude shoes do the trick, or shoes where there’s a straight streamline up from your ankles.
- Cropped top. If you’re not going longer + tucking, crop it! Wear either a snugger crop top to show some skin, or try a looser fitting crop that can lay only over the very top of the skirt’s waistline.
- Make a shoe statement. The midi length is the *perfect* length for showing off yo’ shoes, sistah. These sparkly mules were a total impulse purchase, but I’ve yet to look back. Since your legs aren’t the focal point (unless you’ve got killer calves, in which case, by all means, please make those the statement) but your feet are in full view, now’s the time to break out those crazy heels or statement heels that you’ve been “saving for a special occasion.” That occasion is today, girlfriend.
- OOTD Option: Tuck a basic tee into a pleated midi skirt, add a statement necklace and heels, and VOILA – easy dressed up look for a date night out or bridal shower ahead.
- OOTD Option: Pair with a snugger underlayer up top like I did, but opt for a blazer instead of a leather jacket to make the look office-appropriate. Add pearls + pumps and you’re good to go to work.
- OOTD Option: Chambray tucked in on top (one of my fave things ever), buttoned up, with a statement necklace under the collar. Super preppy chic!
How to shop it:
- Check elastic versus zip up in the waistband. Mine is elastic up top, which I lovelovelove cos it’s comfy AF (#priorities). Some zip, tho, for a bit of a fancier look. I always opt for elastic when possible so there’s room for a Taco Tuesday baby. These are the important things to think about in life.
- Work with your frame. Any midi skirt should hit right below your knee to avoid shrinking you down.
- Save $$$$. For a lot of trendier pieces, I opt for cheaper lookalikes to more expensive counterparts. Cos quite frankly, ain’t nobody got time for splurging on things that may or may not be in style next season. Mine was $18, and every other pleated midi skirt in my closet was similarly priced. It’s worth it to go for a more affordable option when it’s just a trend you’re looking to try! 😉
- Check layering. Is there a lining in the skirt? Ladies, if the material is something like chiffon, a lining is hella important so that the world can’t see your hoohah. Since the fabric on this one is a thicker satin, there’s no see-through here!
- Style it in the dressing room. Especially if you’re not 100% sure right off the bat, bring some pairable pieces into the dressing room with ya to see what kinds of shoes + tops you like best with it (and would wear) before buying.
You can pick up whatever pieces ya lovelovelove by clicking on your favorites in the widgets here!
How would you rock a pleated midi skirt?
Do you have any in your closet as of yet? I’m so into ’em – I hope they’re here to stay.
P.P.S. Last chance for TWO $1,000 giveaways…don’t miss out!