This post may contain affiliate links; see site footer for more details.
Happy HUMP! How’s you week going so far?? I’ve been scrambling to make sure all of my Christmas + holiday content is ready to go for you guys while still forcing myself to chill the heck out and ~enjoy~ the season. Seriously, that can be such a struggle sometimes (unfortunately) – we just get SO dang tied up in the hustle + bustle that we forget to slow down and remember the true reason for the season in the first place (read this post for more on that). SO, from here on out, I’m going to be suuuuuper intentional about my time and making sure that it’s not all spent on workworkworkworkwork (cue Rihanna). Instead, this is really the best time of all to focus on play, as well as some solid prayer time, too, to the One who it’s for in the first place – cos it ain’t Santa Claus. 😉
In other news…has it really been months since the last Trend to Try post?!?! OMG. Time, where you at tho. I’ll probably say it a hundred more times before 2018, but seriously, 2017 was a total blur. SO, for any new folks around these rosy parts – Trend to Try is a series on CUR where we talk about a current trend + share how to rock it AND shop it for your own body type + closet. Easy enough amiright?
Today’s trend to try:
They’re so in right now, namely cos sweater weather is in full swing, and the dress equivalent is supah cute. But I also think they get overlooked sometimes – folks either opt for a chunky sweater up top when it’s freezing outside, and pair with thicker denim for warmth, or we go lighter dress when it’s a more mild day and opt with boots or tights. But that true chunky knit sweater dress can be (+ is!) just as warm + cozy + worthy of the style spotlight this season! Mine that I’m wearing here is only $40 (!!!) + is soooo cozy and a really true fire engine red – perfect for Christmas. 🙂
Red sweater dress (c/o – Only $40!!! I am stinkin’ impressed with the quality of this sweater dress. Not itchy at ALL – just so soft + snuggly! And the length isn’t too short, which says something since I’m 5′ 7″ with longer-ish legs and length is always an issue for me so my hoo-hah doesn’t show.) // Bag (I am OBSESSED! I found this online and thought it looked juuuuuust like this $2,000 designer bag – but waaaaaay cheaper. Cos that’s just how we do. 😉 It’s a near exact dupe! Made super well and just so chic + classy looking. This would be such a perfect gift for someone this year – and it’s under $100!) // Black thigh high boots (My faves – and under $100! They have a little zip at the base just to help get your foot fully in comfortably, which I lovelovelove. They stay up – important! – and also come in a gorgeous taupe color which is currently in my cart!) // Red lipstick (My #1 favorite red lipstick – shade: “Ruby Woo” If you want something that’ll last all night long for your holiday parties this year, this is it!)
How to rock it:
- My FAVORITE way to rock sweater dresses right about now is with anything thigh-high. Leaving that little bit of skin showing – super cute! So thigh high boots are my jam currently. This pair is my current fave for a few reasons. A.) They stay. in. place. I can’t staaaaand when high boots fall down every 32 seconds. Ain’t nobody got time. These don’t do that! B.) They zip right by the ankle for about 3 inches, just to help get your foot in without the struggle of hopping around or readjusting fabric to go in straight. C.) They’re under $100 right now AND come in a gorgeous taupe color. #AddToCart
- Multi-layer that ish. Additionally, pair it with thigh-high socks, too, that come juuuuuust above your boot top, that way you’ve got a multi-layer effect goin’ on.
- If showing any skin ain’t yo’ thaaang, totally OK. Instead, rock with tights! Throw simply tights on underneath (my faves are in this post) and you’ve got ~options~. Specifically, footwear options! You can still opt for boots – thigh-high, knee-high OR booties – or you can mix it up.
- Choose minimal accessories that would be on the knit. Especially with chunkier cable knit, it’s easy for jewelry to snag + pull the fabric (no bueno). I opted for one simple statement necklace that wouldn’t catch at all, but going for just bolder earrings would do the trick, too.
- Think about accentuating your high points. Meaning, not all sweater dresses are created equal! Some, like mine here, are a bit boxier in shape and just hang there – totally okay since that’s what chunkier cable knits do, but if you’re looking to highlight a specific body part, so to speak, these obvi don’t necessarily do that. But, some of the sweater dresses I’ve rounded up below for y’all are a bit thinner fabric or just made to have other details thrown in there, like a tie around the waist or a bit of detailing up top. This is where you wanna lean towards if you’re trying to, for example, show off your strong shoulders or a tiny waist.
- Watch out for wanted high-low effect. Some sweater dresses are made in advance with this in mind (bless). BUT, especially if something is really just a longer-cut sweater that could be a sweater dress but isn’t necessarily, it might not be in effect. If you’ve got an arse, you’d ideally want your sweater dress to have a bit of extra fabric/room back there to accommodate your bum without making the back appear obviously shorter than the front. Seems like an easy enough feat for a fashion designer amiright??? Apparently I’m wrong, cos I’ve tried on sooooo many dresses – sweater dresses and just regular ol’ dresses, too! – where this wasn’t thought of, and my bum is just out for all to see (in the dressing room, def didn’t take one home with me – ha!).
- Pair with a really gorgeous statement accessory. This bag did the trick for me; it’s a total dupe for the Chloe Faye bag – a near $2,000 bag – but for under $85!
How to shop it:
- Cover yo’ ass! Really tho, make sure your bum is fully covered. I mean, you’d think this is obvious, but it’s 2017 and what I’ve seen in Walmart is a constant reminder that no, things like this might not be obvious. I’ve seen too many unwarranted bums for it to be called obvious.
- To make sure you ARE covering ya bum, read measurements! It might be a pain sometimes, but I ALWAYS check measurements before buying. See the length of the overall dress, and if needed, measure yourself!
- Check model measurements, too. I also always do this when the info is given – see what size the model is wearing and what HER measurements are, for perspective on how the same piece might lay on you.
- Watch the knit. A thicker, chunky cable knit (like mine!) will likely have a bit of roominess to it in that it’s not going to hug your skin super tight. So, it’s even more important for it to be long enough – or you risk mooning folks without even knowing it. Ha!
- Consider pockets for fashion, but not practicality. Pockets are GEMS – but do any of us actually use dress pockets as actual pockets??? Like, IDK about you, but I’m ALL ABOUT pockets…but never actually throwing my phone or keys into a cute lil’ dress pocket. Ha!
- Try a fun detail. Some of the sweater dresses down below I chose specifically for the kickass detailing. Not all sweater dresses need to be chunky cable knit! Some have a funky bow, some lace mesh, funky furry pockets, or sparkle for the season. Try something new with it!
I also went ahead and rounded up 40 of my favorite sweater dresses for you to shop (I recommend grabbing a glass and digging through – I made sure that all were in stock in most if not all sizes when I put this together for ya!).
Will you try sweater dresses this season?
Let me know your thoughts on the trend in a comment down below – would lovelovelove to hear your take on it!
For more trends to try, click here.
Happy hump day to all, and to all a good night!