Too often, we sell ourselves short. We tell ourselves that we’re not pretty enough, not strong enough, not smart enough. Society fuels our ideas of what we should be, and we don’t get credit for the good that we already are. Instead of fueling the “not” in our lives, take a minute to remind yourself of everything you are. It might take a couple seconds to get in the groove, and it might feel awkward at first. But too often we limit ourselves. Eliminate limits. Take a second to think – unabashedly – about everything that makes you sparkle. Start writing it down, and watch your list grow as the oddities that make you shine become more and more transparent.
I decided to create a whole little exercise out of this thought. It all started with a Cucumber Wasabi Cilantro candle that I received from an empowering woman named Adair and her little business, Yo Soy Candles. My affinities for witty wording, candles, self-empowerment and paella all combined into one. “Yo Soy” means “I am” in Spanish, and these soy candles (soy…”yo soy”…get it???) have an “I am” label on top for you to jot down an affirmative reminder for yourself. This little reminder is what got me thinking.
I had no idea what to write on it. I could write a slue of random phrases or ideas of what I might be, some being funny or poking fun at my quirkiness. But when it came time to pick one thing that really “defines” who I am, I struggled.
After some reflection and having to say to Boyfriend, “Hey, what am I?” I decided for myself: I’m unafraid.
“Unafraid” might be more of a wish than an actuality, because I still have fear in life. But, I think I can sense in myself a determined effort to let fear slide away as I replace it with realistic confidence and Philippians 4:13.
With that, here’s what I am. I would lovelovelove for you to link-up below with your own “I am’s.” If we’re lucky, we can spark a little movement of self-affirmation and empowerment, where we help each other recognize the beauties in one another instead of immediately looking to self-deprecate and point out our flaws and insecurities.
And after sparking our own internal fires, you’ll have the chance to win one of these fiery beauts below…
– full of a unique perspective on life and branding and happiness and success.
– humbled by the works of incredible people before me and around me.
– always equipped with red lipstick and and dry oil to tame summer flyaways.
– in love with the love of my life.
– relaxing after a long work day in the city while my love makes dinner. Again, blessed.
– able to talk myself into eating a cupcake with little guilt. Moderation, people.
– also able to talk myself into a can of whipped cream when I’m just not feelin’ moderation.
– getting stronger from lifting at the gym. I’ve got a routine down, and I’m empowered every time I feel myself upping my weights.
– fluent-ish in Spanish. I never thought I’d get good enough to make it in a foreign country, but I did, and I can’t wait to do it again someday.
– smart. Really smart. Not always the most street smart, but getting there, slowly but surely.
– still rockin’ a curling iron in the age of wand. They say to give second chances, but I’ve been burned one too many times by this one…
– confident enough to not need constant reassurance. But that’s not to say I don’t appreciate you appreciating my good hair days…humidity works against me, and it’s a hard fought battle when won. So, thanks for caring.
– going to wear overalls, maxis, joggers and skater skirts long after they’re “haute.” Come at me, Vogue.
– obsessed with Scandal and completely unashamed. I mean, who isn’t?
– feeling inspired by the love and aspiration that surrounds me.
– good at communicating. I pride myself in having a knack for knowing good ways to get various points across, all with a situational perspective and prowess.
– good at connecting people. Someday, I plan on having my own media group and/or matchmaking business and/or PR and branding full-service agency. It’s all about the connections, baby.
– motivated by good quotes on coffee mugs and babies laughing.
– tactful enough to not call people out on being smartbutt biotches when all I wanna do is call them a smartbutt biotch. You get what I’m saying’?
– finally feeling like it’s OK to not know all the answers. And this feels incredible.
– craving an upside down Hawaiian pizza with sweet sauce and thin crust from the best pizza place on earth.
– in love with learning, and always wanting more knowledge. Knowledge isn’t power – it’s just essential.
– finally getting better at parallel parking. Sometimes, the third time is just the charm.
– still not able to pull an academic all nighter, and still not concerned about it. Not worth it, never will be.
– becoming more patient. THAT, my friends, is an achievement.
– going to learn Polish. There. I said it on the internet, so now I’m held to it.
– so lucky to have my mom and dad in my life like I do. I’ve been shaped because of them.
– still prone to laughing at socially unacceptable moments. Can’t win at everything…
– unafraid of being myself.
To help you celebrate yourself, Yo Soy is giving away a full size Rosemary Mint candle for your own inspiration.
a Rafflecopter giveaway
Now I need to know what YOU are. Get to bragging about your best self, because we could all use a little reminder now and then about who that best self is! Post your ‘I am…’ story on your own space and share it by linking up below.