This post may contain affiliate links; see site footer for more details.
Happy summer solstice – the longest day of the whole entire year. I think that calls for a beach day amiright?? 😉 It also calls for some beauty chit chat, cos it’s been waaaaaay too long since we talked makeup around these rosy parts! Whenever summer hits, I find myself automatically changing up my makeup routine. I naturally want to wear less, cos ain’t nobody got time for a melting face when it’s 100 degrees outside. But I also find myself going for less color, too, and more highlight on fleek. It’s all about how to get glowing skin when you’re going for a bronzed beach goddess look.
Now through fall, I’ll have my set base products and just alternate the glow that goes all over. Fun fact: Makeup products can basically go anywhere. A powder blush isn’t just limited to your cheeks, for example – if you lovelovelove the hue, you can pop it on your eyes for a pretty shadow, and it works just the same! For that glow-all-over look, I’ve been mixing + matching my fave highlighters literally all over my face. I highlight my cheekbones, naturally. Then I highlight my browbones (also naturally). Then I use highlight on my eyes (typically sans liner in summretime) and a dab on my nose + cupid’s bow to just glow, baby, glow!
In the spirit of summer *finally* kicking off full swing, I rounded up all of my favorite products for achieving that gorgeous, dewy summer glow that we all lovelovelove.
First thing’s first – skincare is #1. Make sure your skincare routine is up to snuff before throwing products on top of yo’ face. Step numero uno for how to get glowing skin is to glow from the inside out, always! Eat right + put good things inside your body. Get enough sleep. Feel more confident (this will help). Smile. DRINK WATER. And take care of the skin you’re in! If your skincare regiment needs a pickmeup, here are my top 10 favorite skincare products.
Next, use the right base products. For summer especially, my usual products are too heavy and don’t necessarily work as well when the temperature + humidity levels start changing.
My go-to summer base face:
- It Cosmetics Anti-aging Armour Super Smart Skin-Perfecting Beauty Fluid with SPF 50 (what a name). Super lightweight with great SPF, so this is my absolute go-to.
- It Cosmetics Color Correcting Full Coverage Cream + Anti-Aging Hydrating Serum + SPF 50. Slightly heavier than the beauty fluid, so I use whenever I’m a bit more red and need the color correction.
- It Cosmetics Vitality Lip Flush Stain. I don’t know if this legitimately changes color at all on my lips, but it feels just like a hydrating gloss (it’s what I’m wearing in these photos). It’s a bit heavier-feeling than other lipglosses, which I like since it makes it feel legitimately moisturizing.
- Make Up For Ever Aqua XL Extra Long Lasting Waterproof eye liner or the It Cosmetics No-Tug Waterproof Anti-Aging Gel Eyeliner. Clearly, I’ve got a thing for It Cosmetics – haha! Both of these liners are fabulous waterproof options. In summer I try to wear waterproof as much as possible, cos you never know when a beach day will happen. 😉
- Urban Decay de-slick Makeup Setting Spray. A must-have for oil control. I set my makeup daily with this gem come summertime to prevent melting by noon!
Next up: how to get glowing skin. It’s all about the glow, baby!
Like I said – I’m good for highlighting alllllll over come summertime. Typically, tho, highlight goes on the cheekbone (above blush), browbone (under the eyebrow) and optional tip of nose and cupid’s bow. Rule of thumb: Wherever light hits. That way, you’ve got a case of BA-BAM when the light hits yo’ face.
Otherwise…I’m no make up artist. My strategy is pretty much highlight anything + everything. HA. 😉 So when it comes down to it, I’m a sucker for shimmer and don’t follow rules when it comes to what shade highlight is best for what skin tone, etc. Really…I say whatever ya want. Wear whatever makes ya feel pretty + happy + confident + glowy inside AND out all summer long.
Favorite Powder Highlights:
- BECCA Cosmetics, Champagne Pop – I have the single palette, as well as the Champagne Pop Collection palette, and I lovelovelove both.
- Make Up For Ever Pro Light Fusion – 01 and 02. Both pack a glowy punch. 01 is an irridescent ice, whereas 02 is golden. 02 reminds me of a more pigmented, slightly more shimmery Champagne Pop.
- Laura Geller Baked Gelato Swirl Illuminator, Gilded Honey – A beautiful golden glow. This highlight has a seemingly cult following, and rightly so.
- OFRA Highlighter + Eyeshadow, Bliss – I first tried this gem in an Ipsy bag and fell in lovelovelove at first highlight. So much so that I’ve hit pan and need to re-order ASAP! All of the above are similar in finish, in my opinion – probably why they’re each my faves. 😉
Favorite Liquid/Gel Highlights:
- L’Oreal True Match LUMI Liquid Glow Illuminator – I have three shades: N201 Rose, C301 Ice, and W101 Golden. Rose is neutral undertoned, Ice is cool undertoned, and Golden is warm undertoned. I think each definitely works better on different skin colors, but I’m also on the train that tries different color highlighters all the time regardless of skin color – ha! On the tube, these say you can apply all over face or as a highlighter, so they’re literally designed for that all-over summer glow.
- Laura Geller Easy Illuminating Stick, Ballerina – I wasn’t sure how I would feel about a stick highlight, but of this one I’m a fan. It’s an easy swipe on the cheekbone, and it’s easily blendable with pretty pigment. Great for travel!
- Marc Jacobs Coconut Gel Highlighter – TBH, I wasn’t sure how I felt about this product in general for a LONG time after getting it. I don’t really love it as a highlight, actually. It comes out REALLY strong, and I more often feel like I’m wasting product when I inevitably pump out too much for a streak on my cheekbones. Plus, I don’t find it to be the most blendable. I’ve heard otherwise from other peeps online, but I just haven’t been able to get it to blend flawlessly with my other face products. That being said, I HAVE been loving it mixed in with whatever I’m putting on my face. Granted, I don’t do this too often, lest I look like the Tin Man. But a little bit of glow mixed in with my CC cream or super light foundation is gorgeous for that literal all-over glow, especially if/when you’re wearing less makeup overall.
Swatches left to right…
- Make Up For Ever Pro Light Fusion 01
- Urban Decay Afterglow, Sin
- Flower Shimmer & Strobe Highlighting palette: 1
- Flower Shimmer & Strobe Highlighting palette: 2
- Flower Shimmer & Strobe Highlighting palette: 3
- Urban Decay Afterglow, Fireball
- Laura Geller Easy Illuminating Stick, Ballerina
- Marc Jacobs Coconut Gel Highlighter, Dew you?
- L’Oreal True Match Lumi Liquid Glow Illuminator, N201 Rose
- MAC Irridescent Pressed Powder, Justine Skye
Swatches left to right…
- Marc Jacobs Beauty Glow Stick Glistening Illuminator
- L’Oreal True Match LUMI Liquid Glow Illuminator, C301 Ice
- Laura Geller Baked Gelato Swirl Illuminator, Gilded Honey
- OFRA Highlight + Eyeshadow, Bliss
- BECCA Cosmetics Shimmering Skin Perfector Pressed Powder, Champagne Pop
- Make Up For Ever Pro Light Fusion, 02
- Laura Geller Liquid Gelato Pillow Top Illuminator, Gilded Honey
- L’Oreal True Match LUMI Liquid Glow Illuminator, W101 Golden
- MAC Mineralize Skinfinish Highlight, B16 – Soft & Gentle
- BECCA Cosmetics Champagne Pop Collection Palette, Prosecco Pop
Swatches left to right…
- City Color Timeless Beauty Palette, Bottom Left
- City Color Timeless Beauty Palette, Bottom Middle
- City Color Timeless Beauty Palette, Bottom Right
- BECCA Cosmetics Jaclyn Hill Champagne Pop Collection Palette, Rose Spritz
- BECCA Cosmetics Jaclyn Hill Champagne Pop Collection Palette, Amaretto
- BECCA Cosmetics Jaclyn Hill Champagne Pop Collection Palette, Pamplemousse
The above are all great for complimenting your usual highlight if you’re going for that all-over glow! Each of the City Color palette shades *could* be used for a more intense highlight if you’re up for experimenting, or work for a shimmery contour. The BECCA shades are all blushes as part of the Jaclyn Hill palette (I have two unopened on backup since I lovelovelove this palette so much) and either have shimmer themselves, or just compliment highlight beautifully.
Do you like glowy summertime skin?
If you’ve got favorite highlighters or other products that amp up the glow right about now, I NEED to know. Really. Drop ’em in a comment below, wouldja? I plan on getting my glow on allllll summer long. 🙂
Happy hump…go treat yo’self to a new highlighter + an ice cream cone (with sprinkles) tonight to celebrate SUMMER 2017!