Heyyyyyyooooo, Monday! Back at it again. THANKYOU all SO much for all of the absurdly sweet birthday messages + comments etc. that ya sent my way for my golden birthday over the weekend – y’all sure know how to make a gal feel loveloveloved. 🙂 It’s been a hot sec since we tried a trend around here, and there have been all the trends popping up left + right lately – specifically, trends that were a thing back in, like, the 90’s??? Overalls are back at it again, as are jean skirts circa Hollister 2006?! I mean, they always say fashion is cyclical…ha! But as soon as I saw they were back, my first thought was, UM YEAH HI, is there a guide to how to wear overalls as a grown-a$$ woman?!? I was down to try the trend, but I was not down to look 10 again.
I only picked ’em up cos they were, like, $13 off the Target clearance rack. I went to the dressing room…and I was torn. I figured I’d end up wearing them, but I wasn’t totally sold – yet.
Then I took ’em home (heck, you can’t argue with 13 bucks!), tried on with a few different outfits, and VOILA. I’m sold on overalls, y’all.
SO. Today’s Trend to Try:
How to rock’ em, how to shop ’em, + a whole lotta options for your own closet – from classic to trendy, from pants to shorts, from pricier to budget-friendly. Let’s do this.
Overalls (Mine were from the Target clearance rack! A BUNCHA options at all different price points are linked for ya down below…I even categorized them by style, price point, + trend. #YoureWelcome 😉 ) // Long sleeve tee (I have in, like, 4 color combos now?! On sale for $11.40!) // Louis Vuitton (c/o) // Gold Kate Spade Necklace (This is such a good gift option for something like a birthday – it’s personalized with her initial!) // Sunglasses (These are $10 dupes for a $300+ designer pair!) // Sam Edelman Mules (These match just about errrrr’thaaaang in your spring closet, from shorts to pants to skirts to dresses!)
How to rock it:
- With a snugger layer underneath. Any snugger fitting tee or more form-fitting top will do! But to keep things from looking too baggy, especially if your overalls are a baggier/boyfriend fit in the legs, you’ll want to stay snug up top!
- Opt for a striped or patterned shirt underneath for added dimension, or another fabric for texture. The easiest way to make things interesting fast is by adding some dimension and/or texture to the look, and something non-solid will do just the trick! Stripes, leopard print, or even a fun lace or crochet top will not only add interest, but it’ll likely add a stylish flair that you otherwise might not.
- Another option: button-down shirt! This dresses the whole shebang up a bit while still keeping things interesting and texturized.
- Go for girlier or more feminine accessories. A big statement necklace, a fun silk scarf – heck, even a sparkly headband – will femify your look. Especially good to do if/when you start to feel a little too tomboy-ish for your own personal taste, or if you start to get any farmer chic vibes – ha!
- In summer, pair with a crop top or bandeau under a pair of shorts overalls. It’s easy + breezy while being a little sexier, too!
- Have fun with footwear! Little tennis shoes or Chucks are an obvious go-to, but mules are a good way to girl-ify the look – and heels would make it even girlier!
How to shop for Denim Overalls:
- Shorts versus pants – Obviously you’ve got options here! For shorts overalls, it helps to try ’em on beforehand to make sure the shorts aren’t too baggy on your frame. Same with pants – just make sure the fit is as you intend for it to be! Speaking of fit…
- Wider, baggier leg versus skinny fit – You’ve got a few more popular styles when it comes to leg fit: a baggier boyfriend cut, versus a skinnier jean. And here, it’s really just up to you! Mine are obvi on the skinnier side, but boyfriend jeans are always good for keeping things dressed down, comfy, + casual. TIP: Boyfriend jeans may end up looking a bit more farmgirl chic if you’re not intentional with the rest of the look!
- Distressed versus classic – A little bit of distressing can keep things trendy and helps you not look 12. Ha! 😉
- Classic versus trendy – You’ve got your classic coveralls, and then you’ve got…everything else. Skirts, skorts, corduroy, plaids, pleats, overall jumpsuits – the sky’s the limit.
- Know your body type – I actually think that baggier, boyfriend-style jeans end up looking more grown-up in a put-together ensemble! Probably since kids don’t have boyfriend jeans yet? 😉 But the bonus here is that a looser fit pair of overalls looks good + flattering on most every body type. Especially if you’re pairing with something snugger-fitting underneath, that balance of fits is really complementary!
- Watch the top. – IDK what it is, but for some reason the tops of overalls get weird on me sometimes. I had to definitely adjust both straps in the dressing room before being good to go! So don’t be afraid to play around with that to make sure the front piece covers your chest in a way that makes ya feel comfortable and not awkward.
Some folks have got killer deals on overalls (+ then some) going on…sharing them here for ya:
GAP – 40% off everything with code STYLE
American Eagle – BOGO 50% off + FREE returns
H&M – All around bombdotcom overalls selection
ASOS – Has good options for all sizes + body types, including separation by regular, tall, + petite sizing!
And more options broken down:
CLASSIC DENIM OVERALLS:
SHORT DENIM OVERALLS:
DENIM OVERALLS UNDER $50:
TRENDY DENIM OVERALLS:
Aaaaaand voila. How to wear overalls 101.
Will you be trying the denim overalls trend this season?
Let me know in the comments section – I’d lovelovelove to hear how you plan on styling yours, too!
P.S. ICYMI, this post from last week will shave a few bucks (like $60+) from your monthly phone bill – don’t miss it!
Happy MONDAY, friends! Let’s make it happen today.