It’s may be beginning to look a lot like Christmas inside, but outside, we’ve still got fall foliage on the homefront! I’m SO STOKED to be sharing this look with ya today, because it’s been one of my favorites all season. From head-to-toe, it feels like a total power outfit, without being stuffy in the slightest. AND it’s oh so totally affordable, also from head-to-toe! I styled it and was just like YAAAAS HONEY, winner winner chicken dinner.
Now I want Chick-Fil-A.
I digress. 😉
Today’s Trend to Try is one I’ve seen allllllll over the Instagrams this season. And even though it’s trending, there’s such a classic appeal to it, too, that makes it 100% worth adding to your closet. Like Nancy Drew meeting menswear and grabbing drinks together. Introducing, the plaid blazer (and friends).
THE PLAID BLAZER
Longline plaid blazer ($25.60 with code Erica4 at checkout for 20% off anything!) // White button down (Does not wrinkle!!!! Another white button down on sale for $23.94 here!) // American Eagle jeans (On sale for $37.46 – lovelovelove AE jeans!!!) // Designer dupe shoes – on sale for $15, selling out fast!!! // “Olivia” necklace (c/o) – code erica15 for 15% off your own customizable name necklace! (Makes a GREAT Christmas gift, especially for any new mama in your life!)
This plaid blazer tho. First off, it’s only $25.60 (make sure you use my discount code to get that price!). Second, it’s made SO well. I would’ve thought it was a much more expensive Nordstrom purchase rather than where I got it! 😉 I also lovelovelove the length! It’s a “longline” blazer, but not TOO long – it hits at a perfect spot to style with snugger bottoms and look perfectly balanced.
This white button-down is CLUTCH and a total closet staple of mine. The fabric is SO comfortable, and it’s made with some “technology” that has UV protection! Not totally sure the benefit of that in a shirt since your skin is covered anyways, but hey – a little extra sun protection can’t hurt. And it doesn’t wrinkle, which we all know is a must for me since Lord knows if it needs an iron it’s too extra. Aint nobody got time.
American Eagle might be my new all-time favorite retailer for denim. I had owned a few pairs before, but I picked up more during Black Friday sales this year, and now I can’t understand how/why folks drop multiple Benjamins on jeans when AE has ’em for under $50. Strike that – sales typically make ’em under $40, or even under $30. Which is just UNREAL to me, given how friggin’ fantastic they are, from wash options to sizing to fit. I’ve got high-waisted, cropped, dark wash, light wash, boyfriend, distressed – you name it, I’ve got it from American Eagle, and lovelovelove. ALSO all of their jeans/jeggings are 25% off today apparently?!?! BLESS UP.
Then these heels – I scored these on a Payless run and was shocked at the price. AND they’re on sale now online for $15 – selling out fast tho, so run! The V shape on the top of the shoe is so flattering since it’s slimming to the eye, and the chunky block heel makes walking that much easier. #bless
How to Rock + Shop a Plaid Blazer:
- Keep things structured. Here, I went for a more structured look overall with a button-down underneath; since the button down is a more casual button-down, it worked well with jeans to keep everything more casual and not too stiff or buttoned up. But the structured look plays into the power suit vibes!
- Mix textures. Try wearing over a cable knit sweater for some dynamic texturing.
- Maintain balance. If everything up top is a bit looser (like here), you can be a bit snugger on the bottom and it keeps everything looking nice + balanced.
- Make a statement. A plaid blazer is a statement piece, so let it do the talking! Keep everything else simpler + more subdued (ie, solid colors, no prints, etc).
- Step up the prep factor. Go all Gossip Girl by pairing with a collared shirt, flaired skirt, + flats (bonus points if they’re loafers). Optional necktie. Make Blair Waldorf proud.
- Open up. Buttoning the blazer is a quick way to look a bit too business for everyday wear. Keep things open to keep it casual!
Will you be trying the plaid blazer trend this season?
What do you think of the trend? Fan? Not so much? Let a sistah know down below!