Hollah from Charleston! It feels like every post now is from a new city – ha! While I’m all for some solid travel time, I’m also all for some solid R&R…and this mama-to-be needs it BAD. It’s like I’m constantly torn anymore between wanting to do as much as possible before Baby G’s arrival (I’m already 23+ weeks, which is INSANE to me holy moly) and just relaaaaaaax. #dreams
Anyhoo. It has been a HOT. FRIGGIN. SEC since the last Trend to Try around these rosy parts! Long overdue, my friends. Long overdue. It was a no brainer to share with y’all one of my faaaaaavorite trends this season, slash one thing I’ve been wearing on repeat to a.) accommodate le bump and b.) avoid waistbands at all costs. I own approximately 32 different ones and really #CantStopWontStop. You know it, you lovelovelove it…the t-shirt dress. Basically, the easiest, comfiest thing to just throw-on-and-go whenever. Workable in all seasons, sans the middle of a Northeast winter. And a *perfect* transitional piece for right now – just wear it by itself with sandals until the weather starts cooling down a bit, before whipping out your favorite suede + denim jackets and little booties for fall. (Also pairs perfectly with a Pumpkin Spice Latte in hand, coming to Starbucks August 28th 😉 ).
SO. The t-shirt dress. There are all different types – short, long, straight, swing – for all different bodies, and we’re doin’ as we usually do when trying a trend here and sharing tips on how to rock it + how to shop it for your own closet + body type.
P.S. Quick disclaimer: we shot this AWHILE ago when I was clearly less pregnant. 😉
THE T-SHIRT DRESS
Let’s talk how to rock it + how to shop it.
How to Rock the T-Shirt Dress:
- Any way you want it – that’s the beauty in it! It’s something you can *literally* just throw-on-and-go, which I’ve done so many times if we’re about to run an errand and I don’t want to wear a t-shirt and shorts. They look slightly more put-together, which is always a plus.
- For summer, pair with sandals + oversized sunnies.
- For fall, transition with a suede or denim jacket, little booties, and a wide-brimmed hat. As the weather cools down even more, just add more layers! A big chunky scarf, tights underneath with higher boots – you can work the entire ensemble around the temperature dropping and have it still look feminine + pretty going into the next season.
- For a more active day, swap out sandals for sneakers or tennis shoes. The key in keeping it cute + casual without being awkwardly sporty is to stick to your lightest, slimmest sneakers. Keep the Nikes at home for this one – this is the time to pull out the little white tennis shoes that you would NOT wear to the gym.
- Know your cut! Do you prefer straighter or some swing? A straighter t-shirt dress may feel more body-con, especially if you’ve got curves you’re rockin’. So it might be snugger on and not AS comfortable for running around, IF it’s pulling up at all. Personally, I’m a *big big fan* of the swing t-shirt dress, where the bottom flairs out ever so slightly. It’s a universally flattering option! Still hugs in all the right places, but keeps things so movable on the bottom with zero risk of feeling self-conscious (cos ain’t nobody got time).
How to Shop the T-Shirt Dress:
- Watch your fabric! The best t-shirt dress is a blend that is so stinkin’ soft to touch…and doesn’t wrinkle. Nix the cotton here, folks! Some of my faves in my own closet have actually 0% cotton (ironic, since it’s a t-shirt dress amiright?). Instead, they’re some combo of rayon, polyester, and maybe even spandex. Keepin’ it cool + wrinkle-free.
- Watch your hemline. Aim to find a favorite that hits about 2-3 inches above your knee. If it’s a straighter, snugger fit, it will potentially ride up more then that when walking/doing activities. And if it’s a swingier fit, it’ll have this bounce effect while you move, so it’ll be just enough length to not flash the general public. 😉
- Stock up on neutrals. A good grey, black, or other neutral-ish shade (olive green, tans, navy blue even!) has that cool-girl vibe for effortless chic every time.
- …But add a fun print in the mix, too! When my girlfriends and I were shopping together last, we all picked up THE SAME DANG DRESS from Old Navy – the cauuuuutest swing t-shirt dress with palm print. It’s Rayon/Spandex, so ticks off the box above on no-cotton, it does not wrinkle for the LIFE of it (bless), + it looks good on literally all of us. And we’re all different heights/shapes/etc!
- Look for other fun details. I’ve also been a *big* fan this season of any t-shirt dress with more interesting detailing, like a fun knot, pocket, a print or embroidery detail, or some ruching. I’ve included a bunch in the widget below that I’ve added to my own closet in the past few months, many of which have detailing to just accentuate more shape.
More T-Shirt Dresses to Try…
How do you like styling a t-shirt dress? Do you have a fave place to buy t-shirt dresses?
Now I’m off to grab breakfast before a full day here in Charleston – looking forward to sitting down with y’all for some #RealTalk as soon as the travel tides calm down. Ha!
P.S. For more Trends to Try, click here.