It’s a new week, friends! Kicking off this new week by celebrating how we ended the last, since it was SO much fun. J + I headed westward to celebrate my best friend’s baby’s first birthday, and it was just the absolute best time. So, I figured I’d throw together a quick little “what to do in St Louis for a weekend away” post with our favorite hot spots + activities, especially since Taylor and Adam chose their personal favorites + local bests for our time together! It was just J + I traveling; Liv got a lil’ vacay with her Mimi + Papa (whom she ADORES) since we weren’t comfortable putting her on a plane right now, and we masked up to have an adventure.
A LOT of you asked via Instastories what it was like flying during the pandemic, and thankfully, it wasn’t bad. Granted, we flew Southwest and I’ve heard true horror stories about other airlines blatantly not caring or throwing cautions to the wind and taking to the skies without taking the current health climate into account. Southwest was great about not filling planes and ensuring only family/parties traveling together could sit together, and otherwise, folks were distanced in their seats. We stayed masked the entire time, the only exception being a bite to eat in the airport, at which point we’d grab a table away from any other humans and wipe it down with antibacterial wipes before snacking. So all in all, wasn’t as scary as I originally thought it would be, and other people were courteous (yay!).
Just wanted to drop in with a quick lowdown of our trip + some recommendations of what to do in St Louis based on our weekend itinerary there + in neighboring St. Charles (Missouri!) in case you’ve got a trip to the Midwest on your calendar anytime soon.
- Salt & Smoke barbecue for late lunch in historic downtown St. Charles. This area of town is SO darling, cobblestone streets and all. It was HOT (aka 101), but somehow we managed strolling around outside. Popped into a cute little shop called Happy Camper that was created by a husband-and-wife team, and they’re SO CUTE – such a vibe.
- Movie night + balloon arch making. We watched The Old Guard, which is currently #1 on Netflix! It was bloodier than I typically like (not a fan of gore over here), but a good movie. Tay and I actually missed the whole first part of it, too, because we were working on party things, but once we got into it we were into it. But while it started, we were making Jack’s balloon arch! I made Liv’s balloon arch for her first birthday party and taught Tay the ropes – it’s actually way easier than it looks and always ends up being such a great party decoration. I use this balloon pump + this “tape” to make it happen.
- Donuts from Heaven Scent Bakery – Made by a cute little old lady from the Czech Republic (and I’m 25% Czech! Woo!). Their Old Fashioned’s are TO DIE FOR.
- Jack’s party! Happy birthday J man! He had the cutest little ONE-der the Sea party. I know Taylor got Jack’s recommendations from aplace called Party Hop Shop, so if you’re local to STL, check them out! One of my favorite gifts for babies/kiddos is this book that one of my best friend’s, Molly, wrote! It’s the CUTEST story based off of her real-life special needs cat, Otitis, with the BEST message of love + kindness to all. I always have a few on hand for gifting purposes and lovelovelove supporting small business AND my best friends (obviously haha), so I highly recommend grabbing a copy or two if you want to do the same!
- Game night – This might be my new favorite game. I added it to my Amazon cart on the spot – we had a BLAST with it, and I can’t wait to play it with the fam at the beach!
LOL @ the juxtaposition between our children here…Jack being a bit timid with his smash cake and not thrilled with being “messy.” Olivia Grace going SMASHHH and eating the whole damn thing. HAHA.
- Outdoor farmers’ market at The Boulevard – If you’re local and looking for what to do in St Louis next weekend, hit up the popsicle stand and get Plum Ginger. Thank me later.
- Little Lemon candle company – This small shop was started by a mama who wanted to be able to stay at home with her baby while paying for some medical bills, so the candle company was born! She does hand poured soy wax candles, so it’s a clean burn (which I lovelovelove). I picked up a Blueberry Vanilla candle that smells like it’s going straight to my thighs. 😉
- Lunch at Hi Pointe burgers – Maybe the best burger joint in town? Get the fries! Also the onion rings. And a peach cream ale while you’re at it, too. 😉
- Dinner from Addie’s Thai House – Our Thai takeout was BOMB DOT COM. I got chicken fried rice but also kept stealing bites of J’s pad thai – you get a TON of food and it’s all YUM.
And that’s a wrap on what to do in St Louis for a weekend! Back home to Philadelphia sunshine…
Have you ever been to STL? Anything you’d add to this quick list of what to do in St Louis?
If so, let me know! + check out past travel guides and trip recaps here! 🙂