This post may contain affiliate links; see site footer for more details.
TGIF, YO. Can ya believe we’re already headed towards the finish line of the first full week of 2018?!? Insanity. This week flew. by. First off, the “day off” to start the week is always a wrench in the schedule. But The Bachelor premiered, so there was that (also, am I alone in not liking ANY of the girls so far??? SOS). Then Tuesday happened, which was basically Monday. Then suddenly, HUMP DAY WHOA BABY HERE WE GO. And yesterday was the Bomb Cyclone of the Northeast, so of the last 48 hours, I spent 48 of them in my house. Hermit? Totally. And now it’s FriYAY and le weekend. Pretty soon it’ll be Halloween and the Hallmark Channel will debut it’s 2018 Christmas lineup and all will be right again in the world. 😉
ICYMI on Instastories last night, friendly PSA: make sure you pick up some Artichoke & Jalapeno Dip and some Dark Chocolate Covered Raisins on your next Trader Joe’s run. TOO GOOD.
OK, let’s talk a trend to try, shall we?
I’m surprised it’s taken me this long to acknowledge this as a huuuuuuge trend, cos y’all…it’s everywhere.
And not even just jeans – pearls on errrrrr’thaaang! Pearl embellishments are *the* rage right about now, on anything from jeans to sweaters, from shoes to other accessories. I think I’ve been seeing pearl jeans as a thing since late fall, so it’s about time they popped up around these rosy parts as a trend to try! Let’s jump right in…
Also P.S. it had just snowed when we shot this, so on too many occasions, wind blew and snow came down from the trees ONTO US. Cold, and also explains why there’s snow in my hair for some shots – ha!
Sweater (SO soft! As seen in hot pink in last month’s Things I Love here. Comes in this amazon green, taupe, blush, maroon, hot pink, + ivory. I have this green obvi, hot pink obvi, and blush, too! And it’s ON SUPER SALE!!!!!!!!! – was on sale from nearly $80 to $50, and now get an additional 40% off in cart, so it comes down to $30.50! #AddToCart #GetEveryColor) // Pearl jeans (under $25 – I’m wearing size S, and they fit perfectly – normally I’m a size 2 in pants!) // Pearl bracelet (c/o) // Plaid flats (old, from Burlington) // Rebecca Minkoff bag (old, similar here) // Pearl drop earrings (similar here, here, here)
How to Rock your Pearl Jeans:
- Simple + solid up top. Pearl jeans are obviously a bit extra. I mean, duh. 😉 So complement the added embellishment + keep them as the statement-maker by pairing with something a bit more subdued up top. I prefer a solid color, or some other ~simple~ something. The easiest way to try this trend is with your favorite basic tee! Grab a wardrobe staple that you’re super comfortable wearing all the time. It instantly looks more fashionable + trendy than a simple tee with jeans, but it’s got a slightly more dressed up vibe.
- Balance with classic. A super fun habit of mine is pairing something trendy with something classic. So instead of a chenille sweater, I might also pair these with a white button-down top – a wardrobe staple – for a fun twist.
- Make it all about the pearls. Add a pearl accent somewhere else in your ensemble to pull everything together nicely! Here I’ve got pearl earrings and a pearl bracelet, but you can experiment with pretty much whatever pearl-on-pearl combo floats your boats.
- Be mindful of the actual pearls. Even tho they’re sewed on, I still want to take care of my pants to not lose any pearls along the way! Learned that one fast when Purrcy jumped on my lap and thought OMG TOYS!!!!! 😉 But this means watch out for things like tall boots that might interfere with how the pearls lay, or be outright painful if they’re awkwardly pressing against your leg. Also beware of cats while wearing. You’ve been warned.
How to Shop for Your Pearl Jeans:
- All over front – This one’s the obvious one – and probably the most popular/trendy right now. It’s how I first found out about the trend, too, and fell in lovelovelove.
- Pocketing detail – If pearls all over is too bold for your liking, you can still play around with pearl jeans in a more subtle way – on just the pockets! Some pairs of pearl jeans just have embellishment around the pocket, so pair those with a higher cut top to show off the detail.
- Smaller clusters – Instead of pearls allllll over, they make some that are tiny clusters of pearls. Still all over the front of the pant, but just not in a full-coverage fashion. Ha! If you wanna dip your toes into the trend without going all out right off the bat, this is a good option!
- Not on jeans! – Other pearl embellishments are still all the rage, and still a worthy trend to try. On moto jackets, sweater sleeves, dress pockets – the works.
- Watch for stitching – You want to make sure that the pearls are actually *securely* fastened to the article of clothing, whatever article of clothing that may be. If you’re in store, play around with them to make sure they’re sewed on there tightly! If you’re shopping online, just be sure to take a quick glance at any reviews, or use any zoom-in feature to check out the situation for yourself.
Pearl jeans is definitely a trendier thing – I had no idea even how the pearls were all attached to the pants (I straight up thought they were glued – LOL). Because of it, you see pricing run the gamut; some bigger, more luxe retailers carry their $$$$ versions, but then you’ve got a plethora of options at fast fashion retailers (Forever 21, ASOS, etc) for more like $. Personally, I always recommend going $ instead of $$$$ for trends.
Justbecause they likely won’t be a trend forever.
Fashion is cyclical! While it might make sense to splurge on a more classic trend, something more “fun” miiiiiiiight not make it back around in a decade or two. Or, you won’t like it anymore anyways. The rest of this look is a perfect example of that, with my chenille sweater. Chenille is BACK, baby! This fabric was super popular literally in the 80’s. My aunt has a TON of gorgeous chenille sweaters – and she lucked out this season, because now she just looks like the most “in” aunt on the block. 😉
SO, here’s a whole buncha pearl jeans + pearl embellished accessories to make this a trend to try in your own closet.
OTHER PEARL CLOTHING
Would you try styling pearl jeans?
For more trends to try, click here.
For 15 words to live by this year, click here.
For 35 ways to be a better version of yourself, click here.
For my 2017 reflections + 2018 goals, click here. (And PLEASEpleaseplease take 4 minutes to fill out the CUR reader survey – thankyouthankyou!)
Hope y’all have a BOMBDOTCOM first weekend of the new year!