A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away (or two years ago on a website that’s really coming up roses… 😉 ), the search for the best white t-shirts commenced. It was an intense battle with worthy contenders, but ultimately, the cream of the crop rose to the top. Naturally, plain white tees are a closet staple that everyone and her mother could (and should!) rock on any given Tuesday. But not every t-shirt is created equal. You’ve got everything from different necklines to different washes, different fits and different fabrics, and while sometimes you hit gold on a t-shirt that stands the test of time (and the washing machine) – other times, it’s a bust that falls apart, pills, or looks dingy after three wears. And honest, ain’t nobody got time.
On top of that, prices run the gamut.
When I saw someone online recommending – I kid you not – a $98 white t-shirt, I knew the time had come for an updated version of our own CUR best white t-shirts contest. Because Lord knows you do NOT need to spend nearly A HUNDRED DOLLARS to get yourself a good white tee!
But let’s get real for a hot sec, shall we?
A few folks felt the need to comment on my first roundup, critiquing my choices or claiming that shirts were, in fact, “see-through.” Friends…if you’re wearing a white tee over DARK JEANS or black leggings, it’s pretty darn difficult to find a lightweight, breathable, comfortable white tee that will be FULLY opaque over said pants. Personally, I prioritize something not being “see-through” over my boobs than over the waistband of my jeans. You know? 😉 So just throwing that caveat out there beforehand so we’re on the same page expectation-wise.
We’re talkin’ see-through over bras. And this ALSO has to take into account the kindof bra you’re wearing. Because Lord knows the wrong over-the-shoulder boulder holder can lead to lines, lumps, and all sortsa bad stuff poking through that really doesn’t have anything to do with the shirt itself. I recommend this wireless bra under tees – it’s my all-time favorite bra anyways, so thank me later. 😉 But it’s an absurdly comfortable, wire-free bra with a buttery-soft fabric overlay on top so that you are smooth, seamless, and soooo comf all day long. Get a nude-to-you shade for the best wear under a white t-shirt!
ALSO FYI: I’m wearing these jeggings + these sneakers with the tees. The jeggings are high-waisted + SO comfy (one of my fave denim brands), and the sneakers are $15 alternatives to the famous $60 Vans…and they look almost IDENTICAL. They have memory foam soles and I’ve worn them on repeat all month, so highly recommend!
NOW, onto some of the best white t-shirts today!
In our last roundup on the hunt for the best white t-shirts, we reviewed:
- Old Navy
- BP from Nordstrom
- Halogen from Nordstrom
- Treasure and Bond
- American Eagle
- Walmart Time and Tru
(FYI most of the above area are probably sold out and/or out of stock currently since that post is a few years old at this point!)
For this round of reviewing the best white t-shirts, I focused on quality over quantity and chose a few personal favorite brands to test. Also tried to have a few different neckline options since we all like different things in a white tee, although I personally prefer V-necks. I stayed TTS (that’s “true to size”) in each tee, so I’m sporting a small in everything below.
Today, we’re talkin’ about:
1.) J. Crew
- $16.50 (currently 30% off!!!)
- Heathered, more fitted option
- This is definitely one of the more fitted ones in the lot, so I’d recommend for a sleeker look to tuck into pants/bottoms with less loose fabric if that’s a look you’re wanting/needing.
- Drapiest option, not a straight cut on the bottom, and SUUUUPER SOFT.
- I loveloveLOVE the feel of this one, but it’s definitely not your standard or basic plain white t-shirt – it almost feels more like a tunic? BUT, my *exact* one is called a “legging tee” and is currently sold out, so mine is a BIT longer in length than the usual one (which is what’s linked here – everything is exactly the same sans a bit of the length!)
3.) A New Day
- Rounded crew neck
- This one is the most affordable of the bunch, BUT also my personal least favorite. I got my true size, small, but it feels a bit too high in the neck and smaller on the shoulders. Sizing up one, though, feels like it could have too much extra fabric in the body, so I’ll likely be returning this one. Not my fave!
- $18.71 (currently 25% off!)
- More heathered finish (listed as “distressed”), seamed V-neck
- This one is listed as being “made for leggings,” but I don’t think it’s THAT long – it doesn’t fully cover my butt (and I stayed TTS). So just an FYI in case you’re wanting/needing that.
- $6.79 ON SALE!!! Currently 60% off!
- Round crew neck
- Comes in Regular, Petite, AND Tall sizing in XS through XXL – lovelovelove the inclusivity.
- This is their “Favorite T-Shirt” – if you prefer a rounded crew neck over V-neck, get this one over Target’s – it’s noticeably better quality AND fit, for just $1.79 more!
- V-neck, cuffed sleeve, pocket detail
- Over 20,000+ 5-star reviews
- This one is WHITE white! Really lovelovelove the fit, shape, and feel of this one. I bought it in purple tie-dye first and liked it enough to test out the “plain” white version – and there are countless other color options, too.
While it may not be “traditional,” I lovelovelove the fit of this white t-shirt. I love the pocket detail,the cuffed sleeves and the V-neck.
- Rounded V-neck, curved hem
- Made from eco-conscious 100% organic cotton
- Really soft + breathable! Comes in 6 colors. This isn’t true white – it’s definitely ivory. The “creamiest” color of the bunch, if you will!
What are the best white t-shirts you’ve found so far?
Drop me your fave in a comment below…maybe we’ll do round three? 😉