It’s almost time, friends – the 2020 Nordstrom Anniversary Sale. AKA, the NSALE. If you’ve never heard this acronym before, buckle up and leggggo. Long story short, the NSALE happens once a year; Nordstrom launches a whole bunch of things for the next season (fall/winter) at exclusive sale prices for a limited period of time. This is unlike ANY other sale out there at any other retailer EVER, because typically, sale merchandise is stuff that’s been available for purchase for a few weeks already – and if it doesn’t sell, it goes on sale.
Not with the NSALE.
With the NSALE, merchandise hits the website on sale FIRST before jumping UP to regular price at the sale’s end. Wicked, right?
I’ve covered the Nordstrom Anniversary Sale in past years, too, and every year, my sole goal is to be as helpful as possible. My pride + joy from last year’s NSALE was getting a message from one of you saying I made “the most helpful guide ever!!!!” Last year’s sale was admittedly horrible compared to previous sales. It had less stock which ended up being a major bummer, since by the time Early Access was over and most of us “regular folk” could shop, everything was sold out. WOMP. I’m waiting with baited breath to see how this year’s will pan out, but there’s really no knowing for certain until Early Access actually starts. Stay tuned. 😉
In the meantime, here’s the lay of the land.
Last year, I featured what to buy with $100 at the Nordstrom Anniversary Sale, what would sell out fastest, a bestselling leopard tee styled three ways, best of workwear, + a bestselling lace camisole styled three ways. The year before we covered everything I bought personally, best beauty buys, best SHOES on sale, and last minute buys. Now, I need to know from YOU what you want to see specifically to be most helpful this year. I’ll be trying to mix it up in terms of what I cover based on any specific requests + what the sale ends up actually being like, so again, stay tuned.
But first thing’s first as usual: key details about what the heck the Nordstrom Anniversary Sale even is in the first place, as well as key dates to know, my recommendations for preparing for + shopping the sale, how to shop early access, a look at this year’s catalog, and sneak peeks at a few specific pieces that will be launching with this NSALE.
LET’S DO THIS.
Nordstrom Anniversary Sale 2020: DATES TO KNOW
7/24 – PREVIEW! Today’s the day – you can get an exclusive first look at what’s going to be on sale in the Nordstrom Anniversary Sale 2020 catalog.
8/19 through 8/30 – SALE. This is the official sale window!
8/4 – EARLY ACCESS OPENS at 12:30 pm EST, but only to Nordstrom cardholders. This happens in “tiers” based on yearly spending; first “Icons,” then “Ambassadors,” then “Influencers,” then “Insiders.” Your individual tier will be noted in your Nordstrom card account online, so you know when your Early Access begins!
8/19 – The sale is open to all and runs through August 30th.
9/1 – Prices jump UP to their “after sale” price as marked.
Nordstrom Anniversary Sale 2020: What you need to know
- What’s Early Access? Early Access to shop the NSALE is given to all Nordstrom credit cardholders. I know having another credit card might seem like a pain in the butt to some, but it’s def got its perks! I’ve had a card for maybe three years now and I lovelovelove.
- It’s reaaaaally helpful to get a Nordstrom card. First thing’s first – get the card to shop early access. The card gets you in early, and I would 100% say it’s worth it to get the card TO shop early. So much of the best stuff goes quick, and while much gets restocked – you never know what or when (or IF). So unless you’re hanging out hitting “refresh” all day long (and ain’t nobody got time for that), it makes your life so much easier to have the card and get in first. It also allows you to use Nordstrom Notes, Nordy Club Points, as well as Points days for the sale, earning SO much money back on whatever you buy + getting additional dollars off your purchases! I’ve had mine for I think 3 years now, and I lovelovelove it. (It gives you points on all purchases throughout the whole year as you shop, too, which end up earning you “Notes” to be spent shopping!). There’s no annual fee, and you’ll also get a $20 bonus Nordstrom Note if you spend $100 at Nordstrom with your new card the day you’re approved, which is perfect timing for the sale!
- The Nordstrom Anniversary Sale is going to predominantly feature FALL stuff! Like I said before, every blogger and her mom shops + shares this sale. But for good reason – this is NOT your ordinary sale, people. Most sales work in a pretty standardized fashion – at the end of a season, whatever didn’t sell as well or whatever is essentially leftover inventory that needs to be cleared out for new merchandise is marked down, however significantly it needs to be to get off a rack. The NSALE is totally unique. It’s NOT end-of-season stuff (aka summer). Summer stuff is on sale NOW at Nordy’s. But come August 4th, fall merchandise that has not even been sold PERIOD before will launch, and it *launches* on sale. This is insanely cool! It’s like getting a shoppable sneak peek
Nordstrom Anniversary Sale 2020: How to Prep + What to Buy
- Don’t lose your mind. In years past especially, some folks pushed this sale so hard down everyone’s throats it felt a BIT like the Hunger Games. 😉 Really, none of us NEED a third pair of neutral booties or fifth comfy cardigan – so long as you’ve got the important things in life, you have what you need already. So as always, I’ll try my darnedest to really highlight what’s worthwhile and the best bang for your buck.
- Go through your closet to take inventory before shopping. This is SO helpful, because as silly as it sounds…this sale can get hella overwhelming if you don’t go in somewhat prepared + on a mission. Merchandise will sell out while it’s in your cart if you’re not quick enough, so it’s helpful to shop intentionally and in multiple carts if you need to so that you can pick up what you want/need to for the whole fam. For example, I go in with some specifics in mind from the catalog (like these Marc Fisher booties + these Nike biker shorts), but also some generic pieces for the season (like “tall black boots”).
- Think FALL! Like I said, the VAST majority of the sale is focused entirely on fall. From the catalog, some apparent fall trends that Nordstrom is pulling from are bright + bold solid colors, animal prints (specifically, snakeskin + leopard), plaid, j
- Specific pieces:
- Denim, blazers, boots, sweaters – all popular sellers!
- Best sellers from CUR last year: the cult-classic Pillow Talk lip kit, this easy leopard tee (as seen styled here three ways!), the WUBBY (always a fan favorite of the sale!), + this Barefoot Dreams cardigan (which I keep on the back of my chair at my desk to this day – so so good!)
- Specific brands:
- Barefoot Dreams – The BD blanket in our house is definitely the most popular + sought after, and I like to point out that it is, in fact, MY BLANKET. Mine. Dibs. It was a shower gift TO ME and I shall claim it each + every night on the couch as its rightful owner. 😉 Get one for yourself, get one for your mom, get one for your best friend, and get one for your gift closet justincase.
- Nicer denim like Paige, AG, etc – Good denim goes on sale that usually doesn’t, so if you’re looking to invest in some “nicer” jeans, this is the time!
- Zella workout wear – The BEST time to stock up on Zella leggings! Zellas have one of my absolute favorite leggings brands for years. For any mamas-to-be in da house, their Mamasana maternity leggings were my FAVORITE during pregnancy with Liv!!!
- Nike – Lots of biker shorts + sports bras in this year’s sale
- Tory Burch – Great time to TREAT YO’SELF if a Tory Burch bag has been on your wishlist – they’re a few hundred bucks off!
- Spanx – The cult-classic, bombdotcom Faux Leather Leggings are in the sale!!!
- UGG – Always has slippers on sale.
- Giftables – This is a GREAT time to get ahead on the holidays, if you’re totally Type A like me. 😉 But seriously, so many of the on-sale
brands are so perfectly giftworthy, and they go UP in price by August. So if you’ve got a little gift closet or gift shelf where you keep things for last-minute gifting needs (I do – and it’s so helpful!), stock up now.
- Use your double or triple points! Depending on your rewards status, you may have a double or triple points day left (or more than one!), so be SURE to click that when ordering online!
- Bookmark CUR for the duration of the NSALE. I’ll be posting updated posts throughout, with things like in-store mirror shots, sizing details, + other helpful tips to be as useful as possible to your own shopping. Consider me your personal stylist + shopper. 😉 So make sure you pop back to the blog first thing when the sale launches, because I’ll be breaking down what’s worth it, what’s not, how to size, etc! I’ll have early access in store before the sale even launches online early access, so my reviews + guide will be ready to go for you the second the sale launches. And to make it as easy as possible on ya, I’ve got a handy dandy label on my menu during the sale so that you can shop all Nordstrom Anniversary Sale content in one place.
- Buy online with in-store pickup. This is hands down the best way to do it, in my opinion. It allows you to shop quickly (from your couch in your sweats with wine and no crowds, so hello) while still letting you get your merchandise same-day, where you can then try-on in-store and exchange sizes while you’re still there if need be! (It also still gives “credit” to any blogger helping guide any of your NSALE purchase decisions – whether that’s me or some other fabulous lady, we sure do appreciate that!).
- Buy multiples of an item if you’re unsure of sizing. Nordstrom’s return policy is incredible + effortless, so you can easily return whichever size you end up NOT wanting without any hassle. (I literally returned three tagged items last week from a year+ ago that I had forgotten in the trunk of my car, and they took them back no problem, no questions asked, full refund!!!) And like I said, you can buy online and pick up in-store, try on right then and there, and exchange or return anything on the spot, so it’s almost like being VIP for a day with having your selections waiting for you when you arrive at the store. Ha! 😉
Nordstrom Anniversary Sale 2020: What I’m Eyeing
First impression after checking everything out – not super impressed, TBH. Of course, Nordstrom came out with a statement on how there is noticeably less inventory this year than in year’s prior because of what’s going on in the world (ie, the global pandemic). There’s noticeably less “trendy” pieces and the focus seems to be on the bestsellers and fan favorites – staples that return each year. So if anything, note that so that you can pick up a wardrobe basic you’ve been eyeing or stock up on essentials, or pull a treat yo’self on one or two splurgier pieces if you’re spending less in other areas!
(**NOTE: While you can see the sale price + after-sale price on these products now, you won’t be able to actually ADD them to cart until the sale launches. So be sure to come back to actually shop them as soon as you’re sale shopping!)
- This pretty sweater – I think it’ll sell out in camo first!
- Necessaire body wash/lotion duo – I’ve heard RAVE reviews about this luxe body care brand, namely because their products are clean + cruelty-free. No sulfates, parabens, etc. So it’s a splurge, but apparently worthwhile…and since it’s on sale, no better time to test out the hype than now!
- These booties as practical staples, but these as a statement!
- Zella joggers – since I lovelovelove their leggings SO much! These come in plus size, too – woo!
- Cozy shorts under $16!!!
- LoveloveLOVE these slip-on sneakers in literally all colors – I might have to try two! I predict these will sell out FAST.
- These Marc Fisher booties – I think they’ll be the TOP selling bootie this year!!!!
- These leopard flats WILL sell out.
See the full NSALE catalog here!
Will you be shopping the NSALE this year?
If so, what’s on your list? And what will you want help with specifically from ME, so that I can be as useful + valuable a resource to you as possible throughout the sale?