This post may contain affiliate links; see site footer for more details.
Happy birthday, Coming Up Roses – CUR is 6 years old TODAY. I literally can’t believe it…
If there’s one thing I’m proud of from CUR, it’s its growth. And not from a following or numbers perspective, but from a content perspective.
I’ve yet to ever hide or un-publish anything from the archives, so if ya really felt so compelled…you could go back. WAY back. All the way back to the very first, very hideous, very awful first posts from Coming Up Roses – back when my website header was a bunch of HOT pink spiral cartoon roses. Hollah if you remember those days…HA.
This is a roundup of 20 of my personal favorite posts to ever come from CUR. They’re faves for various reasons, but if there’s one common thread I could deduce from the bunch, it’s that they’re all a bit more on the newer side comparatively speaking. And I like to think I finally got my act together somewhere along the line and stepped it the heck UP for you guys across the board. 🙂
Before hopping into the roundup, let me be the first to offer a big fat freaking THANKYOU to you for being here. For reading posts, for following along, for checking in – for being a part of the CURowd. The Coming Up Roses crowd is THE reason why I do what I do, because I just lovelovelove sharing bits of my life with you and doing whatever I can do help you in yours. My hope is always that you come hungry to digest some information or inspiration, and leave motivated to be a better you. May we always blossom into our best selves…together!
Now, without further adieu and in no particular order…
- 33 Ways to Prepare for a Baby. Because if motherhood is one thing, it’s a lot of things. And funny is one of them.
- How to Negotiate like a Badass. If there’s one thing I like to think I’m pretty decent at in life, it’s downing a bowl of chips n’ dip. Also whipping out quippy poems on the spot. AND ALSO, negotiating. It’s always been a nerdy personal favorite of mine – some folks avoid confrontation at all costs, I welcome a hearty debate or back-and-forth anytime. Of course, ideally a negotiation isn’t a debate; this post ended up being SO MUCH LONGER than I originally anticipated (story of my life, oops), but I think it’s truly chokful of SO MUCH MEAT to help literally anyone in any negotiation setting, whether it’s in your potential boss’ office before a job interview, or in your kitchen before bedtime with your five-year-old.
- 73 Days in the NICU. A post I never thought I’d have to write, but knew it was essential if it would only help one other NICU mama feel less alone.
- 26 things worth buying that will change your life most dramatically. Not even kidding.
- “Slay your Goliath.” Inspired by one of my favorite Bible passages. A really helpful reminder of a sometimes-cliche story that we too-often forget. I’d recommend re-reading if it’s been a hot sec, just in case it hits home today.
- Part 2 of Olivia’s Birth Story because it makes me pee my pants laughing everytime I recall peeing in the story. Part 1 of Olivia’s Birth Story because, well, I almost died but Liv was born and we eventually lived happily ever after.
- The 8.33% rule. This simple mindset shift literally changed my life. Maybe it’ll change yours, too?
- “Enlarge your Territory.” Inspired by a weekend-long faith retreat and a pretty personal encounter with Jesus.
- 10 ways to wear a blanket scarf. This was a labor of lovelovelove + Pinterest to make it perfect. But TELL ME you don’t learn, like, 7 new ways to tie your blanket scarf from this. I DARE YOU. (Trust me, you’ll leave mindblown).
- Becoming Mentally Tough. These 12 tips work whether you’re dealing with asshats at work, asshats on the internet, or – heck – asshats under your own roof.
- 5 easy pierogy recipes. If there’s one food I can legit remember eating way back when, it’s pierogies. My family has been eating pierogies for approximately forever – probably because I’m half Polish? Ha! So if there’s one food that’s also always in our freezer, it’s also pierogies (and also Trader Joe’s Chicken Fried Rice LOL). Working with Mrs. T’s Pierogies was a total dream for this post, and it was SUCH a labor of lovelovelove. It took HOURS to cook + shoot all of the content, but I’m obsessed with how the recipes and pictures turned out. Did you try any of them after seeing the post? If you did, I need to know what you thought – SO YUM.
- The Secret’s Out... Because how could this NOT be a personal favorite post??? But oh, how things would evolve…we still laugh seeing that “Coming December” sign.
- How I Avoid Burnout (Signs, Causes, + How to Beat Burnout Before it’s Begun). Burnout is something I have to *actively* work against, or it’ll slap me in the face – hard. So this is kinda like an all-encompassing guide, with what works for me personally and what “experts” on the internet recommend, too. 😉
- The Brain Dump. Brain dumping is a weekly practice for me (if not more), and it’s a ~gamechanger~ anytime you feel your brain fogging from #AllTheThings. This was another monster post, but it was 100% worth it anytime any of you tell me how it’s been helpful!
- What no one tells you before getting pregnant… Another dose of #RealTalk with a solid chuckle or two along the way…don’t say you weren’t warned. 😉
- “JUST is Just Right.“ Because you’re not JUST anything. This was heavy on my heart after hearing too many women JUSTify their lack of fulfillment or happiness by blaming their current placement or season in life. So if you’ve ever said you’re “just a mom” or that it’s “just a little business” or that you’re “just trying to find the next thing,” please read.
- IT’S A… Our gender reveal! Although I will say, both J + I felt girl since the get go. 😉
- 63 thoughts you have while shopping online. Definitely the most fun I’ve ever had sharing a sale with you – and hopefully the most fun to read, too. 😉 Also had 50 more thoughts here.
- 3 ways to style 1 plaid shirt for fall. Likely my personal favorite 1 Thing: 3 Ways post yet! And timely, since everyone and her mom has a plaid shirt or flannel SOMEWHERE in the depths of her closet for fall fashion. 😉
- How to cover dark circles. Due to popular request! Give me your tired, your exhauted, your overworked mamas, collegiettes, and millennials – because we’ve all got bags under our eyes ISO more caffeine and more sleep. If neither of those two things are in the cards, at least my hacks for coverage should do the trick. This post dives into the products + techniques that work for me, so hopefully they’ll work for you, too!
OK OK ALSO if you’ve hung with us this long, FUNNY STORY TIME…
While my mom and I were shooting this post, we experienced a tragedy.
Chances are, if you’ve ever tried to take a picture with a big numbered balloon, you’ve been on the struggle bus of a BREATH of wind turning the whole thing into a hot mess express. We had this whole vision of the 6 perfectly floating there, all ethereal and perfect and ish, and of course…nada. Backwards, sideways, and every way expect the right way.
We were also shooting around 8 pm on a Sunday night. So like…not in the mood, balloon.
I was standing on top of bleachers with my balloon, trying to talk it into shape, when I did it, folks.
I really did it.
I dropped a bomb.
The F bomb, to be exact.
And I kid you not, friends, AS THE BOMB DROPPED, the number 6 prompty snapped off its ribbon and started spiraling upwards towards the heavens.
Lesson learned: Do as your mama says and watch yo’ mouth. 😉
THANKYOU for being a part of Coming Up Roses!
Whether you’ve been here for 6 seconds, 6 weeks, 6 months, or all 6 years (wowzers, thanks for sticking with us – ha), I APPRECIATE YOU SO MUCH.